This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here is a festive cocktail recipe to brighten up your day, a delicious Mai Tai!
When we were visiting the Hawaiian Islands, we of course indulged in one too many Mai Tai’s. Our favorite spot in Hanalei was Tahiti Nui, known for their Mai Tai’s, and enjoying happy hour snacks and drinks.
A Mai Tai is one of the most popular Tiki drinks in the world. The drink is mainly made with rum(s), orange liqueur, and orgeat (an almond syrup) and there are variations with lime juice and/or pineapple juice. Clayton’s cousin, Ian, is a great mixologist and when we recently visited him in New Mexico– he offered to make us a Mai Tai cocktail and we were so excited. His recipe is smooth, delicious, and a great recipe to make any time of year.
Clayton’s Margarita has a cocktail cousin in town, and its name is Ian’s Mai Tai! Thank you to Ian for sharing your recipe with us! Cheers and enjoy!
Ian’s Mai Tai
- 2 ounces aged rum *I like Pusser's
- 2 ounces white rum *I like Cruzan Aged Light
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ ounces orgeat *I like Giffard or Small Hands
- Pour all ingredients in a shaker. Add ice and shake until very cold. Strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge and/or pineapple wedge with a pineapple leaf, if desired. (mint is also popular).
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.