Cue all of the nostalgic feelings because Hamburger Helper is making a comeback! haha! Raise your hands if you grew up on Hamburger Helper? My momma made it all the time and I mean, we can all agree that stuff is freaking delicious and pretty genius! But good grief, if I only knew then what I knew now I would have NEVER put that stuff in my body. It is just packed full of fake and horrible ingredients! So let’s clean it up with this One-Pot Hamburger Helper.
But, Hamburger Helper is freaking delicious, easy, and saves a Mom’s life for dinner when she doesn’t have time to think or cook dinner! So Amen to that. However, I made this clean version for my kiddos the other day, and WOW, its delicious. Plus, it doesn’t take any longer than the toxic filled boxed version! So you momma’s out there with picky kids and husbands, rejoice! This is the answer to your prayers.
I’ve told you many times that my favorite brand of gluten-free pasta I use in my house is Jovial Brown Rice Pasta. It only has two ingredients (organic rice flour + water) and the taste and texture is outstanding. I buy mine at Whole Foods and I use it in this dish to keep it gluten-free and clean. Also, if you are a dairy-free family– you’ll see that the dairy I included in the dish is optional.
So here we have it: a one-pot, easy, delicious Hamburger Helper that your kids will say DANGGGG GIRRRL.. haha, maybe they won’t say that but they will definitely say positive things and you only have to dirty up one skillet to make it. I just LOVE it.
If you enjoyed this One-Pot Hamburger Helper, try my other one-pot meals!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 12 oz. dried elbow pasta (I use Jovial Brown Rice Pasta)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups milk (if you want this to be dairy free, just do 4 cups of beef broth)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional-I used Mexican blend, but shredded cheddar is fine)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- Heat a very large skillet, or a pot, over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onions, and ground beef. Season with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Saute, breaking up the ground beef with the back of a spoon, until the beef is cooked through, no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta, the beef broth and the milk. Stir to combine and let cook until pasta is tender (I like to cook mine al dente) and the liquid is soaked up, which is usually close to the same time as the box of the pasta says. Mine took about 11 minutes with the Jovial Elbow Pasta.
- Remove from heat and add in the cheese, if using, and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- For reheating-- Heat in a skillet over medium heat and add beef broth to rehydrate the noodles. I splash it in about 1/4 cup at a time (depending on how much I am reheating) until it reaches the consistency I want and the noodles are tender again.