This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One of my absolute favorite places to get inspiration and learn about food from is NYT Cooking. If you aren’t subscribed to NYT, you are seriously missing out. I actually look forward to the daily email inspired curated by Sam Sifton, along with the delicious food recipes by so many of my favorite recipe developers. All of which inspired me to create this Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata.
One of my very favorite recipe creators is Alison Roman. Her cookbooks are brilliant, her recipes on her blog are insanely delicious and her Instagram is definitely amongst my top favorite people to follow. Her no BS yet creative recipes get me everytime.
I recently recieved one of my NYT cooking emails in my inbox and they were sharing the current #1 recipe on the website, which just so happened to be this Sheetpan Vinegar Chicken with Crushed Olives. It seemed like one of those straightforward recipes that was just flavored perfectly so as an Alison Roman fan, I knew I had to try it. As always, it didn’t disappoint. My favorite part about the recipe that I found was unique to most sheetpan meals is that it had a pan sauce. Brilliant!
First of all, make Alison’s Sheetpan Vinegar Chicken, trust me. It’s SO good, especially if you love olives and you love tangy things. Secondly, all of that is to say that her chicken inspired me to make this Whole30 compliant Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata. It’s easy, flavorful and a total crowd pleaser! I love making this when hosting guests because it’s easy enough to throw in the oven and enjoy your company, but impressive enough for everyone to lick their plates clean! My favorite kind of meal.
Sheet Pan Chicken Piccata
- 3.5 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken parts (I used an assortment of chicken legs, drumsticks, and chicken thighs)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 small lemons sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a large sheet pan, place all chicken parts and use a paper towel and pat chicken until dry. Drizzle olive oil over chicken then sprinkle with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Toss and rub until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Spread chicken into a single layer on pan and nestle in the sliced lemons. Pour white wine vinegar and chicken broth over and around the chicken pieces.
- Transfer sheet pan to the oven on middle rack and roast until chicken is golden brown; about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add garlic, capers and parsley.
- Using tongs, carefully toss all ingredients then add back into oven until the garlic is fragrant and the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 more minutes (being careful not to burn).
- Remove from oven and transfer chicken onto a serving platter, pour pan juices all over the chicken. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.