If you are looking for a light, flavorful and delicious summer meal, look no further than this Pan Roasted Chipotle Halibut with Avocado Salsa.
I love pan roasting fish and it is definitely my preferred method of cooking fish in my kitchen! It gives it a nice crispy sear while leaving the inside nice and flakey. Halibut is always a good choice for a light and fresh weeknight meal, and I love enjoying it in the summer; however, it can sometimes be a little on the pricey side. I found mine on sale this week so I went for it but, if you don’t want to break the bank try this Pan-Roasted Chipotle Halibut with Avocado Salsa with either Salmon, Mahi-Mahi, or any white flakey fish instead!
I really love the heat from the chipotle paired with the nice cool avocado salsa over the top, the combination makes for a great summer dinner! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do!
And for more halibut recipe ideas, try these flavor-packed dishes!
Pan-Roasted Chipotle Halibut with Avocado Salsa
For the Avocado Salsa:
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 medium-sized red onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeno finely diced
- juice of 2 limes (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Halibut:
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 [6-8oz] filets of Halibut or any white, flakey fish. Salmon also works!
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Make the Avocado Salsa:
- Combine all of the avocado salsa ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve or just set aside until fish is cooked through.
Cook the Halibut:
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, chipotle chili powder, and cumin. Toss to combine.
- Pat the halibut filets dry then evenly distribute the seasoning mixture over the tops of the filets and rub the mixture into the fish so that it adheres well.
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet (or an oven-safe skillet) over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot, but not smoking, add the halibut (skin side down) to the skillet and sear for about 3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fish over and place the skillet into the oven. Continue to cook for 8-10 more minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flakey, but not dry! (I had a 6oz piece and it took 8 minutes, my husband's was 8oz and took 10 minutes)
- Remove from oven and serve immediately topped with the avocado salsa.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.