Okay, so we have another fun, easy weeknight dinner that uses store-bought rotisserie chicken. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s certainly NOT boring… Easy Chicken Parmesan-Stuffed Zucchini Boats!
I absolutely love the way this recipe turned out. Zucchini boats are filled with the flavors of chicken parmesan for a low-carb and high-protein dinner. Instead of frying up a piece of chicken, I simply stuffed zucchini with shredded rotisserie chicken that is tossed in some marinara sauce and grated parmesan cheese. Then, I topped it all off with some oh-so-delightful melty mozzarella. The best topping though? The gluten-free panko breadcrumb mixture gives the dish a little crunch to mimic the classic Italian crispy chicken dish!
My entire family loved these Easy Chicken Parmesan-Stuffed Zucchini Boats and it seriously could not have been easier to whip up. With zucchini season just around the corner (this summer), you’ll have to give this exciting weeknight dinner a try! And when you do, let me know what you think in the comments below.
Here are some more fun, easy recipes that use rotisserie chicken:
Easy Rotisserie Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
Easy Greek-Inspired Rotisserie Chicken Bowls
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Bake
Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Easy Chicken Parmesan-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 3 medium to large-sized zucchini, halved lengthwise (or 4 medium sized)
- 1 [24-ounce] jar marinara I use Rao's brand
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken I use rotisserie
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper optional
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs I use Aleia Brand
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil leaves for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour about ¼ of the jar of marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, and spread so that it evenly coats the bottom of the dish.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds of each halved zucchini to create a “boat”. Lay the hollowed zucchini skin-side down on top of the sauce in the prepared baking dish. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp kosher salt.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, so that the zucchini is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the chicken, parmesan, parsley, garlic, crushed red pepper, and the remaining bottle of marinara sauce. Toss to combine.
- When the zucchini is tender, remove from the oven. Fill the zucchini boats with the chicken mixture. Then, sprinkle the top with the mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the gluten-free panko and the remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and toss until well combined. Sprinkle over the top of the zucchini boats until evenly coated.
- Transfer back to the oven and continue to bake until the cheese and panko are golden brown, about 10 more minutes.
Elizabeth CauseJanuary 25, 2023 at 8:12 pm
Is this meal easy to freeze? I would love to have this on hand another night! 🙂
AlexJanuary 26, 2023 at 12:19 pm
YEs, this is a great one to freeze!
HalyeSeptember 13, 2021 at 10:14 pm
Came together incredibly fast, and was even more delicious than I had anticipated! I will definitely make again 🙂
JamieJune 6, 2021 at 11:29 pm
This was delicious and so easy to make! Planning to use the bit of zucchini I scraped out to make zucchini bread too!
AlexJune 7, 2021 at 12:20 pm
yummy!!! (p.s. I have a great paleo zucchini bread recipe coming soon I’ve been working on!)
Jillian HumphreysMay 27, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Looks and smells amazing. I threw in a bit of prosciutto I had leftover from a pizza experiment. Used chicken I had cooked in the instant pot. Perfect dinner for a busy weeknight. Thanks Alex for another winner!
Brooke WaggonerMay 20, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Alex! I just wanna hug you! This was AHHHHHHHH-MAZING and sons/hubby approved! I hit it with the broiler the last 2 minutes of baking. Definitely sliding this into the dinner rotation. Can’t thank you enough……
AlexMay 20, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Brooke, sending you a big hug right back!!! xoxo thank you for the love
Liz TraegerMay 11, 2021 at 12:07 am
Delicious, filling, healthy, just perfect. Thanks for another fabulous and simple weeknight meal, Alex!
AlexMay 11, 2021 at 1:06 am
You’re most welcome, Liz.
Ashley HendricksonMay 18, 2021 at 7:06 pm
So easy for a healthy, family meal! Love this recipe & so does everyone I make this for 🙂 thanks Alex!
RachaelMay 10, 2021 at 1:06 am
I can’t believe my kids ate this!! And it was soooo easy omg. I didn’t have rotisserie chicken so I actually used ground turkey I had on hand and cooked up. Thank you!
AlexMay 10, 2021 at 11:57 am
Pam JenkinsMay 8, 2021 at 3:50 am
This was delicious. Well written easy to follow recipe. Even my husband who is not a fan of tomato sauce loved it. Did take longer to cook but that may be my temperamental oven. Thanks.
NataliaMay 5, 2021 at 8:18 pm
I made this last night for dinner and everyone loved it! I’m definitely adding this to my rotation.
LauraMay 5, 2021 at 3:53 am
Keely KrauseMay 5, 2021 at 1:33 am
This dish was awesome. My family loved it! I used 3 med-lg zucchinis, marinara sauce from Aldis. Will definitely make again!
AlexMay 5, 2021 at 11:42 am
Amazing!! Thanks for commenting xo