This Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet is absolutely delicious. It’s like an enchilada met a casserole and they made a baby into this skillet (which you can totally use a casserole dish if that’s your thing). Growing up, my bests friend’s Mom used to make what she called an “enchilada casserole” and here were the ingredients: flour tortillas, wolf brand chili, velveeta cheese, shredded cheddar cheese and a can of enchilada sauce.
Okay, so I am not going to diss that recipe that she made because we FREAKING LOVED IT; however, I think y’all know by now I am not going to make a dish using canned chili now, right? So this is my ode to that dish. I whipped up my own enchilada sauce (with a kick of chipotle to it), and layered it high with Siete Foods Grain Free Tortillas, shredded rotisserie chicken, black beans, and shredded cheese. It’s grain-free and gluten-free and absolutely DELICIOUS!!
This dish is very easy to make and it is a TOTAL CROWD PLEASER!! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!
Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Skillet
For the Easy Chipotle Enchilada Sauce:
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder *see note if you don't want spicy
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
For the Chicken Mixture:
- 2 cups shredded chicken I use rotisserie chicken
- 1 4oz can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1 150z can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
For the Enchiladas:
- 1.5 cups cheddar and monterey jack shredded cheese blend
- 12 tortillas I use Siete Foods grain-free cassava flour tortillas
- 2 green onions, sliced, for serving
- cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Make the Easy Enchilada Sauce:
- Melt the ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add the arrowroot starch and whisk until combined. Add the chipotle chili powder, cumin, sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and salt. Whisk together until combined and saute to really bring out the flavors in the spices for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add the tomato paste and whisk until combined, then, slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups of the beef broth, whisking constantly, so that the sauce combines. Let cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes, whisking often. When very thick, remove from heat and slowly pour in the remaining 1/2 cup of the beef broth, whisking constantly to loosen up the sauce so that it is the perfect consistency for enchiladas! Set aside.
Make the Enchilada skillet:
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, chopped green chiles and black beans.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet (or 9x13 casserole dish), spread 3/4 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom. Layer 4 tortillas on top, followed by half the chicken mixture, 1/3 of the shredded cheese and 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on top. For the second layer, follow by layering 4 more tortillas and the remaining chicken mixture, 1/3 of the cheese and 3/4 more of the enchilada sauce. Finish by topping with 4 more tortillas, the remaining enchilada sauce, and the the remaining cheese.
- Transfer baking dish to oven and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with green onions and cilantro, Serve and enjoy!