This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here is an appetizer you are just going to love to sink your teeth into!! Chorizo-stuffed Bacon-wrapped Dates: delicious and flavorful chorizo, stuffed in sweet dates, and wrapped with crispy, salty bacon! Served over a creamy roasted red pepper sauce, these little bites will wow your guests and your taste buds!
Last year, I visited Chicago for the first time. During my time there, I ate at AVEC Chicago, which served chorizo-stuffed dates. It was one of those appetizers that I wanted to slide right out of my seat it was so good, and it’s been on my mind ever sense. With the holidays in full swing, I thought it would be a great time to do my own rendition of what I remember from AVEC!
I do think that AVEC’s chorizo had a more smokey, Mediterranean flavor– but I am sure they make their own chorizo in house. For the sake of time and ease, I opted to purchase a more Mexican flavored chorizo and the results are still fantastic!! I strongly encourage you to grace your holiday tables with these Chorizo-Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Dates. Your guests will love you for it!
Find more appetizer recipes here!
Chorizo-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates
For the Roasted Pepper Sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- few cracks of black pepper
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, loosely chopped
- 2 tbsp juice from a jar of roasted red bell peppers
- 1 [14.5-ounce] can peeled, whole tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the Chorizo-Stuffed Dates:
- 8 ounces bulk chorizo *see note below I use San Manuel Chorizo and removed from the casing.
- 16 pitted medjool dates
- 8 slices of bacon, cut in half crosswise I use Applegate Farm's no sugar bacon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the Sauce:
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of black pepper. cook, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the roasted red bell peppers and the juice from the jar and continue to cook, stirring, for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, vinegar and bring to a simmer. Once simmering rapidly, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook, simmering, while you prepare and bake the dates.
Stuff the Dates:
- Gently open up the date so that it can easily be stuffed. Place about 1/2 tbsp of the chorizo in the cavity of the date. Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on the prepared baking sheet and continue until all of the dates are prepared.
- Transfer the dates to the oven and cook until the chorizo is cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Then, turn the oven on high broil and broil (watching carefully so that they don't burn) until the bacon is just crisp, another 2-4 minutes depending on your broiler!
- Meanwhile, while your dates are baking, transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside, cover, and keep warm until the dates are done.
- To serve, spoon and spread desired amount of the sauce across the bottom of a serving platter. Place chorizo stuffed dates on top and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.