Alright, guys, this Crockpot Party Chili Con Queso is by far the most unhealthy thing I’ve ever posted on here and probably will remain the most unhealthy thing I will post on here until the end of time…but I am okay with that because I couldn’t live my life without sharing this absolutely delicious party-perfect recipe with you, my dear friends!
There is this little “cheese” they like to call Velveeta…and we all, myself included, are so grossed out by the fact that it comes in a box and could pretty much never grow mold on it because it is THAT processed and THAT bad for you. Well, even though I am disgusted by it…I am from Texas and I grew up on that shit and I love it. It was NOT a party at my parent’s house growing up without a big crockpot of this queso and if you grew up in the South, you can probably relate.
So yes, I am a healthy food blogger. But yes, I am a real person that eats fake shit on occasion. Sue me. This Crockpot Party Chili Con Queso is one of those recipes I do indulge in once a year and it usually falls around a big football game or kid’s birthday party. So for all of you that aren’t partaking in a Whole30 Challenge and are living on the dark side this Superbowl Sunday– this one goes to you. Enjoy yourselves and don’t stress it…but don’t eat the whole thing because you might croak. haha. Just Kidding.. well, but really, I wouldn’t eat the whole thing.
Ok. Bye. Go make some Queso! 😉
For a dairy-free queso, try this!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. Hot Sausage (I use Jimmy's Brand, if kids are eating it use the Regular!)
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can original rotel
- 1 (32oz) package original velveeta cheese
- 1 cup of Storebought Salsa (use Joe T's Medium Salsa for my exact recipe!)
- 1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
- lime juice
- fresh chopped tomatoes
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, sausage, onion and garlic and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of the spoon, until it is browned and no longer pink, about 8 minutes. While this is browning, be sure to season your meat with salt and pepper! Nobody wants to bite into unseasoned meat!
- Drain off fat from the meat and place in a crockpot.
- Now, add the cream of mushroom soup, the rotel, the shredded cheese, the salsa. Cut the velveeta into 1 inch cubes and toss that in there too.
- Stir it all up, cover and cook. NOW I need to give you guys a little lesson on the cooking of this queso because it can burn so darn easily-- I like to set my crockpot to "warm" and just let it cook until the cheese is melted but it takes a little longer (like 1 hour). You can set it to its lowest "low" setting and it should be ready in closer to 30 minutes...but either way keep an eye on your party queso! Once she burns she tastes awful. Here is my rule of thumb once its ready and everyone is enjoying it and it is just sitting there to serve if it starts to bubble, I turn off the heat, then when it starts to look like its getting too cold and starting to solidify, I turn it back on warm... and I just keep doing that until the party is over. Off and "warm", never let it bubble. Stir often and you'll be golden!!
- Once its all melted and delicious, you can serve as it is or you can add some fresh cilantro and lime juice to jazz it up if you want!