Here is a salad that you’re going to want to make all summer long! Inspired by ingredients and flavors commonly found in a spring roll, this Spring Roll-Inspired Grilled Chicken Salad is a complete showstopper.
I absolutely love the flavors + textures of spring rolls — soft noodles, crisp veggies, fresh herbs, what could you not love? With that in mind, I created this recipe inspired by all the flavors and ingredients I love. And what you are left with is a filling, satisfying salad that is impressive enough for summer entertaining, but also simple enough for an easy weeknight recipe either on your grill or a grill pan indoors.
For this recipe, you will start off by making a delicious peanut dressing for the salad, which will also double as the marinade for your chicken. The chicken is then grilled off and served over rice noodles, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, and tons of herbs and then drizzled with the peanut dressing. It is SO satisfying and so so addicting.
I plan on making this Spring Roll-Inspired Grilled Chicken Salad become one of my go-to summer entertaining dishes because it’s simple to make yet impressive and exciting to serve! Enjoy!
Spring Roll-Inspired Grilled Chicken Salad
For the Marinade + Dressing:
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- ⅓ cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
For the Chicken:
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 Persian or mini cucumbers halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 3 green onions thinly sliced on the diagonal
- ¾ cup loosely chopped mint more for serving
- ¾ cup loosely chopped cilantro more for serving
- ¾ cup loosely chopped Thai basil leaves more for serving
- 6 oz vermicelli rice noodles
- ½ cup roughly chopped peanuts
- Thinly sliced jalapeño optional for serving
- Lime wedges for serving
Make the Marinade + Dressing
- Starting with the marinade, in a large bowl, add the avocado oil, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, fish sauce, coconut sugar, garlic, red curry paste, coconut milk and lime zest and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Next, make the dressing. In a separate small bowl, add the peanut butter and ½ cup of the marinade mixture, whisk until smooth. If it is too thick, add additional marinade 1 tbsp at a time. Set aside.
Marinate the Chicken
- To the large bowl with remaining marinade, add your chicken and salt and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the salad.
Prepare the Salad
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, green onion, mint, cilantro and Thai basil, gently toss to combine and set aside.
- Next, cook your noodles according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain then place in a bowl of ice water to chill while you grill your chicken.
Grill the Chicken
- Heat grill over medium-high heat (350- 400 degrees F) and oil the grill grates (to do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grate. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.)
- Cook the chicken over the heat for 4-5 minutes per side, until grill marks appear and the chicken is cooked through. The lid should be closed throughout the cooking process.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5-8 minutes before slicing and serving.
Assemble the Salads
- Drain the rice noodles and divide amongst 4 bowls. Next, divide the lettuce mixture amongst each bowl, then top each with the slice chicken. Drizzle each with the dressing then top with the peanuts and additional herbs. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!
Photography by Eat Love Eats.
Brooke C.March 26, 2023 at 11:52 pm
I love this recipe and have made it many many times! One note in case it’s helpful for anyone else. I didn’t have coconut aminos and thought I could use low sodium soy sauce instead…and it was WAY too salty : (. I ended up adding the whole can of coconut milk and probably a cup of water and just barely saved it.
MeganJanuary 6, 2023 at 2:31 am
Excellent recipe! Clean plate (bowl?) club at our household tonight. The marinade was so good on the chicken. Going to try it on shrimp next time!
Kirsten WallaceJanuary 2, 2023 at 2:42 am
This recipe was a hit with my husband, parents, and 3 year old. We’ll be making it again for sure. Thank you!
AlexJanuary 2, 2023 at 3:19 pm
Very impressed by your 3-year-olds palate! Glad it was a hit
StephanieAugust 7, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Is it possible to make the rice noodles ahead of time? I cannot wait to make this!
SgtephanieAugust 7, 2022 at 12:21 am
This looks so yummy! I am trying to make ahead for girls card game. How far in advance can you cook noodles? Any other suggestions for make-ahead? I will make dressing ahead and refrigerate. Thank you!
AlexAugust 7, 2022 at 2:55 pm
Yes, rice noodles can be stored, they just might stick together! Rinse them off after you make them, and you may need to run them under some hot water right before storing. Rice noodles will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days but the fresher they are, the nicer the noodles will be.
Brooke C.July 28, 2022 at 3:19 am
This was INCREDIBLE! Alex nails it again. That sauceeee. I would definitely recommend doubling the dressing. We had tons of leftover marinade but ate all the dressing for dinner and so we don’t have enough for leftovers! It definitely took much longer than 45 minutes even with two of us working in the kitchen since there were so many components. But maybe I’m a slow chopper haha. Next time I might pickle the carrots and cucumbers a la a bahn mi!
AlexSeptember 16, 2022 at 3:05 pm
Love that idea for the pickled veggies
JoleeJuly 16, 2022 at 8:28 pm
This was a quick and easy and super delicious recipe! I subbed the peanut butter with almond butter (peanut allergy), this just might be one of the best marinades I’ve ever had! Perfect summer dish that’s on repeat in my house!
AlexSeptember 16, 2022 at 3:05 pm
So happy it was a hit!!!
KaraJuly 13, 2022 at 10:05 pm
So good! The flavors don’t disappoint.
NicoleJuly 27, 2022 at 11:40 pm
I can’t stop making this! It’s SO good!!!
KaylaJuly 1, 2022 at 12:42 am
Fantastic. Picky eaters even loved it and it was so filling and felt so nutritious. The chicken thighs were incredible. I’ll be using the marinade again to serve the chicken with other sides and combinations. 11/10!
Cia626June 30, 2022 at 11:19 pm
Wow this was great! Took longer to make but worth the effort. Fresh herbs really helped. Can’t wait to make again.
amandaJune 30, 2022 at 12:45 am
Made a batch of this to make quick lunches for a few weekdays! Really good flavor and filling! Subbed rotisserie chicken because my life is chaos with a toddler. 🙂
LyndseyJune 25, 2022 at 12:48 am
This was delicious! I was in a dinner ideas rut and made this. Loved it. Even my 2 year old ate it (minus the lettuce). Will be making it again! Dressing and marinade are amazing.
AlexJune 26, 2022 at 9:56 pm
so glad you love it!
EricaJune 22, 2022 at 1:45 am
Loved this. So delicious
JenniferJune 19, 2022 at 10:25 pm
This recipe is amazing! I’ve made it twice now. I use rice instead of rice noodles. I’ve also turned leftovers into a wrap. There is so much flavor!
AlliJune 13, 2022 at 2:45 pm
We absolutely loved this salad! I doubled the dressing because we loved it so much. The fresh herbs and grilled chicken really make this. We’ll definitely be making again!
Jennifer WrightJune 10, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Made this last night and we all loved it!! Will make it again very soon!
Jordan DeSpainJune 20, 2022 at 2:37 am
Oh my word. This was perfection, I read a comment about making it into a wrap and I cannot wait to do that too. The herbs in the lettuce. Wowwwww
GretaJune 9, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Making this tonight – it looks so good! Do you think there’s any harm with marinating the chicken for a few hours and keeping the dressing in the fridge at the same time? Trying to prep as much as I can during nap time
AlexJune 10, 2022 at 1:22 pm
You can absolutely do this!!!
JamieJune 8, 2022 at 12:15 am
Made this tonight and EVERYONE loved it! Will definitely be one we will be making over and over.
RosemaryJune 7, 2022 at 12:39 am
This meal is a new Summer obsession that will be on repeat in our house! It’s so so simple, refreshing, & filling and the rice noodles make it. Also, I could drink this peanut dressing!
CarolineJune 6, 2022 at 12:59 am
This was amazing. I could bathe in the peanut butter sauce!!!
EmilyJune 3, 2022 at 4:13 pm
Made last night, the flavors were spot on. Easy to put together. I don’t have a grill so I baked the chicken at 400 for 35 minutes. This recipe is for sure going in the regular rotation.
AmyJune 3, 2022 at 2:32 pm
This was DELICIOUS! Another 5 star recipe! This will definitely be in our summer rotation!
AbeyJune 1, 2022 at 11:41 pm
I have been cooking meals by Alex for 5+ years and I’m shocked to say that I’ve never commented on the blog. I had to do it for this recipe because it was THAT good. So refreshing – perfect as a summertime staple. I live in NYC and don’t have a grill/need fast meals so I swapped for rotisserie chicken and it was still fab. I may also swap for shrimp in the future if I’m ever feeling it. 10/10 overall! Will be a longtime recipe staple for my fam.
AlexJune 2, 2022 at 11:38 am
yay!!! thank you for the comment!!! Makes a food blogger so happy! 🙂
JHJune 1, 2022 at 5:34 pm
This was so delicious – – – absolutely FABULOUS!!!
AlexJune 2, 2022 at 11:39 am
so happy you enjoyed!
JHJune 1, 2022 at 5:34 pm
This was FABULOUS!!!