One of my all-time favorite dishes growing up was Chinese Chicken and Broccoli from a Chinese restaurant in McKinney, Texas– China Sun. It was the closest Chinese restaurant to the small town I grew up in and my closest friends and I would drive there at least once a week to pig out on big platters of chicken and broccoli with a side of wonton soup. I loved those teenage “road trips” (it was about 30 minutes away) with my best friends from home: Ashley, Lindy, and Beth. I have so many fond memories of Ashley, Lindy, and I eating our platters of chicken and broccoli!
Over the years, I’ve made variations of the classic American Chinese dish. But I’ve finally gotten a great Whole30 rendition that I just know that you and your families will love. My kiddos love this Chinese Chicken and Broccoli stir-fry as much as my husband and I do, making it a great go to on any weeknight! It’s simple to make, and full of flavor, with a rich and flavorful brown sauce you’ll want to lick off the plate!
Chicken and Broccoli
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (black pepper is okay)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
For the Sauce:
- 3 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (I like Big Tree Farm brand)
- 1 tsp fish sauce (I use Red Boat brand)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, or more as needed
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into florets
Prepare the Chicken:
- Place chicken in a single layer across a cutting board and cover with wax paper. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a skillet, pound the chicken until it is a uniform 1/2 inch thickness. Then, cut chicken into 1/2 inch sized cubes.
- Place the cubed chicken in a large bowl with the avocado oil, kosher salt, white pepper, coconut aminos and tapioca. Toss until well combined. Set aside.
Make the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine all of the "for the sauce" ingredients and whisk until well combined and the tapioca has dissolved in the mixture. Set aside.
Make the Stir Fry:
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When hot and in batches so as to be careful not to overcrowd the pan, cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and continue, adding oil if your skillet seems dry as needed, until all the chicken is browned and cooked through.
- In the same skillet (still over medium-high heat), add the broccoli florets and 1/4 cup of water to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the water has completely evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the skillet with the broccoli and cook, stirring, until the sauce just begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and any of it's juices back into the skillet with the broccoli and sauce. Simmer, stirring, until the sauce is thick and coats the chicken evenly, about 2 to 4 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!