Hatch chile season is in full-force right now all over! I love walking into my local Central Market and smelling the amazing, roasted chiles over the fire outside. The smell warms my heart and soul and I just want to cook with *all the hatch chiles*. Enter: my Sour Cream and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas!
One hot tip with hatch chile season is to grab a bunch of the roasted hatch chiles from your grocery store, throw them in a ziplock bag, and toss them in the freezer. A lot of Hatch Chile recipes are perfect for the fall– and you’ll that yourself later for the good deed. My favorite amongst the cold-weather recipes is this Green Chile Stew. Oh my goodness it’s soooo good.
Here is a fun and semi-homemade enchilada recipe. At first, I intended to make my own enchilada sauce using the fresh hatch chiles, but I quickly realized (as the ingredient list grew) that it wouldn’t be cooked much in your kitchen’s on the weeknights if I continued on the route that I was headed. It was complicated and hey, I want to make your weeknights a little easier than that… yet so flavorful.
This Sour Cream and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas recipe is just that. So easy, and so flavorful! And, don’t worry if you didn’t stockpile fresh roasted hatch green chiles– you can use them straight out of the can. It’s delicious either way. But it’s a great way to put the hatch green chiles to use if you have some and while they are in season!
These enchiladas are gluten-free and grain-free BUT they are not Dairy Free. I find it tricky to make enchiladas dairy-free, but I do have a good recipe here for Dairy-Free Enchiladas Suizas if you can’t do cheese. But if you can do cheese, these lightened up enchiladas will knock your socks off! They are amazing!
Easy Skillet Sour Cream-Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
For the Chicken Filling:
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use Rotisserie)
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup roasted hatch chile, diced small *see notes
For the Enchiladas:
- 1 [16-ounce] jar of salsa verde
- 8 tortillas (I use Siete Foods Cassava)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
For Serving (all optional):
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine all of the chicken filling ingredients. Stir until well combined and set aside.
Make the Enchiladas:
- Spread 1 cup of the salsa verde across the bottom of a 12 inch cast iron skillet (or a 9 x 13 casserole dish) so that it evenly coats the bottom.
- In a separate, small skillet over medium-low heat, heat 1/4 cup of the salsa verde. One by one, heat each tortilla in the warm salsa verde until just softened, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the softened tortilla onto a plate and fill with about 2 tablespoons of the sour cream chicken filling. Gently roll, then lay seam side down in the prepared oven-safe skillet. Continue until all of the tortillas have been filled and rolled.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde over the enchiladas, then sprinkle with the cheese.
- Transfer the enchiladas to the oven, uncovered, and bake until the cheese is hot and bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro, diced onion, avocado and serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!