This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It’s almost Hatch Chile Season and I’ve just started to see Hatch chiles pop up in our local grocery stores. I love Hatch Chile Season so had to get a jump on recipes starting with this Hatch Green Chile Crab Dip!
What is Hatch Chile Season? Well, from the months of August to September it’s a big window for sourcing the most wildly-hyped variety of produce in the Southwest region.
I’ll admit, I didn’t know what a Hatch chile was growing up. It wasn’t until I started dating my (now) husband that I was introduced to the famous New Mexican Chile Pepper. Clayton’s Aunt + Uncle live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Aunt Molly, Clayton’s aunt, is an incredible cook and has taught me a lot in the kitchen over the years. She also has influenced my mother-in-law’s cooking quite a bit. I’ll never forget when my mother-in-law made me my first bowl of Green Chile Stew, my first real introduction to Hatch Chile season. I was in love.
The flavor of a Hatch chile is unique and their short season makes them even more exciting. They can be spicy (depending on the batch) but they always have a beautiful earthy, smokey flavor. I love to stock up on fresh, roasted Hatch green chiles at the grocery store — shout out to Central Market — and freeze them. That way I can enjoy delicious Hatch chile recipes throughout the year.
Here is a delicious, hot and bubbly Hatch Green Chile Crab Dip with the delightful flavors of Hatch chiles infused in the dish. I just know you guys will love this one. I served mine with Simple Mills crackers to keep it Paleo but you could opt for carrots, celery and other freshly cut veggies for a Whole30-compliant appetizer that is sure to impress!
Hatch Green Chile Crab Dip
- 1 lb lump crab meat, drained *fresh or pasteurized works
- 3/4 cup roasted hatch green chiles, diced fine *I use mild ones. You can use canned or fresh. If you're using fresh, make sure to peel the skin off first
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup shallot, diced about 1 large shallot
- 1 cup mayo *I use homemade mayo, but I also love the Chosen Foods brand Avocado Mayo
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper *Optional. if your hatch chiles are spicy, I wouldn't add this. But if they are mild and you like a little kick to your food, the cayenne is a nice touch.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add the crab meat, hatch chiles, mayo, garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, chili powder and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Place dip in an oven-safe baking dish and spread into an even layer. Drizzle the top of the crab dip with the oil and transfer to the oven and cook until the dip is hot and bubbly, with a golden brown top, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with crackers (I love Simple Mills brand grain-free crackers) or sliced carrots + celery to keep the dip Whole30!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.