This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are on the hunt for a super delicious and easy family-friendly weeknight meal, look no further than this easy Skillet Enchilada Chicken.
My family was absolutely obsessed with this dinner when I made it the first time and I have been adding it to my rotation ever since. And with such few ingredients, it comes together so quickly with a fair amount of pantry staples like canned black beans and jarred red enchilada sauce and just a few fresh groceries needed!
Chicken is lightly breaded in cassava flour and then seared off. Next, you’ll add the veggies to saute, nestle the chicken back in then let the oven and enchilada sauce do the rest of the work for you! Topped with cheese that melts to add the perfect, creamy touch, this Skillet Enchilada Chicken has the perfect balance of flavors.
I love serving this dish with a side of Cilantro Lime Rice or quinoa, but you can always serve as-is for a protein and veggie-forward meal.
Looking for More Skillet Chicken Dinners?
Skillet Enchilada Chicken
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour sub all-purpose
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into 1⁄4-inch-wide strips
- ½ medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini halved lengthwise then sliced into ¼-inch-thick half moons
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce jar of red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- ½ a jalapeño thinly sliced (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for serving
Optional for serving:
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the cassava flour to a shallow bowl and dredge each chicken breast in the flour, shaking off any excess. Set aside.
- In a large deep oven-safe skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside. The chicken will not be cooked through as it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Reduce the heat beneath the skillet to medium and add the garlic, bell pepper, onion, and zucchini. Sauté, stirring, until the veggies begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the black beans and stir to combine then spread the veggie mixture into a single layer.
- Nestle the chicken back into the skillet then pour the enchilada sauce over the chicken and veggies. Top each chicken breast with ¼ cup of cheese. Top with jalapeño slices, if using.
- Place into the oven and bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh cilantro. Serve as-is or with Cilantro Lime Rice, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Food Photography and Styling by Eat Love Eats.