If you are looking for a way to jazz up some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, look no further than this easy Pan-Roasted Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta and Herbs. It is the perfect skillet meal to level up your weeknight dinner.
In this recipe, chicken is dusted in flour, seared, then finishes cooking in the oven with a delicious cherry tomato sauce. While in the oven, the blistered cherry tomatoes burst open and make a delightful sauce with the chicken broth and lemon. Feta is also added on top of the chicken before placing the skillet in the oven and it adds a salty and creamy touch to the chicken, but you can easily omit it and the dish will still be great without it if you are looking for a dairy-free dinner. The feta can also be easily replaced with goat cheese or even mozzarella cut up into smaller pieces if preferred! My favorite part? The dill garnish. I love the freshness the dill adds to this dish; however, any herb really works here! Try fresh oregano, basil or even parsley if you’d like! That is what is so great about this skillet — you can sub whatever you have on hand that night!
All in all, this is the perfect weeknight dinner that my entire family devoured. Serve it alongside a side salad, roasted asparagus or brussels sprouts, or even a little pasta tossed with butter. Yum!
Pan-Roasted Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes, Feta, and Herbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx. 2 lbs total)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup cassava flour can sub regular all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1 lemon
- 2 ounces feta cheese about ½ block *omit for Whole30, paleo or dairy-free option
- ½ cup fresh dill fronds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet, pound the chicken until it is a uniform thickness, about ½ inch thick. Discard the plastic wrap and season both sides of the chicken breast with the salt and pepper.
- Place the cassava flour in a shallow bowl. Individually dredge the chicken in the cassava flour to evenly coat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side (they don’t have to be cooked through). You will likely need to do this in 2 batches to not overcrowd the pan. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are slightly blistered, about 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and the lemon juice and stir, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom of the skillet.
- Nestle the chicken back into the skillet. Crumble the feta into large pieces all over the tops of the chicken and tomatoes. Transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is golden brown, the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened and is bubbling, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with the fresh dill, serve and enjoy!
Food Photography and Styling by Eat Love Eats.