This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Wow. This Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Basil Chicken is going to become a new favorite on your dinner rotation.
Easy enough to make on a Wednesday, but impressive enough to entertain guests on the weekend, this Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Basil Chicken is packed with big flavor in every single bite.
Chicken is lightly dusted in cassava flour and seared until golden brown in a skillet. Once that is set aside, sun dried tomatoes are sauteed along with shallots, garlic and cherry tomatoes until they blister and begin to burst open. Finished with a little tomato paste to help richen up the flavor of the broth and cream, this dish is mega-packed with beautiful flavor and textures.
My husband, a sun-dried tomato skeptic, was blown away by the flavors of this dish. Not to mention, my 10 and 7 -year-old daughters devoured it, too. The tomatoes burst open to let out a natural sweetness and brightness, while the sun-dried tomatoes add a tangy bite of umami. While ripe tomatoes also have umami, the intensely concentrated flavor of sun dried makes them an umami secret weapon that makes this dinner simply irresistible!
I like to serve this dish with a little gluten-free brown rice pasta and some roasted broccoli. Anything simple pairs beautifully with this flavor-forward skillet dish. I just know you are going to love this recipe as much as we did, happy cooking!
For Similar Recipes:
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Chicken
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup halved and thinly sliced shallot or 1 large shallot
- ¾ cup julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk, sub heavy creamer
- ½ cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- toasted pine nuts, optional for serving
- Pat the chicken dry and season both sides with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, add the cassava flour. Dredge each piece of chicken into the flour so that they are evenly coated, shaking off any excess.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken into the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the cherry tomatoes, red pepper flakes, garlic, shallot, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook, tossing often, until the tomatoes begin to blister and soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until well combined (it’s okay if the tomatoes begin to burst open and break). Stir in the chicken broth until the tomato paste is well incorporated and reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer. Once simmering, reduce to a light and steady simmer (about medium to medium-low heat) and nestle the chicken back into the sauce and top with the basil. Cook, simmering uncovered, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Top with toasted pine nuts (if using) before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.