This veggie-packed immune boosting Coconut-Ginger Lentil Soup is going to be on repeat in my house. Bursting with flavor and with nutrients, this soup is the perfect thing to make when you’re feeling like you may need a little extra boost!
I love this vegetarian friendly soup. It uses a lot of pantry staples and it helps use up that tub of miso and red curry paste that may be sitting in your fridge (I know mine always has it)! It’s also a soup that I whipped up using what I had on hand when I was feeling under the weather recently. I love adding immune boosting ingredients like ginger and turmeric to my meals when I feel a little icky. Both Ginger and Turmeric are said to have benefits like fighting inflammation, boosting immunities, and delivering digestive support. They are both easy ingredients to toss into your favorite chicken noodle soup recipe and most soups you may crave when feeling sick.
I didn’t want to go to the grocery store and found myself hunting in my fridge and pantry. I love when this happens and the end result is just delightful. That was the case here, an easy soup that is pure delicious! The hearty lentils are a good source of protein, so you won’t miss the meat in this recipe and you’ll definitely be left nice and fueled. They also soak up all the incredible flavor from the garlic, ginger, and coconut! A double whammy!
If you are looking for a hearty and healthy soup, this lentil soup really has it all and is destined to become a favorite in your kitchen. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
If you love this recipe and are looking for others like it, here are some of my other favorites:
Green Curry Chicken Noodle Soup
Easy Chickpea and Kale Tuscan Style Soup
Immune-Boosting Coconut Ginger Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup halved and thinly sliced shallot or 1 large shallot
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot or 1 large carrot
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 inch knob ginger peeled and finely grated
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste *I like Mae Ploy Brand
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 3 green onions thinly sliced on the diagonal, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice or 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the shallot, carrot, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the carrots are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the ginger, mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring, until the mushrooms have softened, about 3 minutes. Add the miso, red curry paste, and turmeric and stir until well combined.
- Add the lentils, the broth and the coconut aminos and bring the soup to a rapid simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to a light simmer, about medium-low heat, cover and cook until the lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the coconut milk and kale. Cook, uncovered and simmer lightly until the kale has wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions and lime juice.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with more green onions and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
KelseyMarch 16, 2023 at 12:24 am
WOW! This soup looks boring but it’s anything but! It might be one of my favorite soups I’ve ever made. Thanks, Alex!
Andrea hadleyMarch 13, 2023 at 6:00 pm
This is so freaking good. It feels so warm so healing band so satisfying. The Defined Dish has done it again.
AlexMarch 14, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed!
LizMarch 2, 2023 at 5:33 pm
This might be one of my new favorite soups! So much hearty flavor. I made some substitutions based on things I had on hand. Used butternut squash instead of carrots, and portobello Mushrooms instead of shiitake. Still so delicious. Thanks!
DaphneFebruary 26, 2023 at 12:02 am
This soup is AMAZING! I made it for a dinner party and it was a total success. Everyone loved it! Thanks so much for all your yummy recipes. Truly so grateful!
AlexFebruary 26, 2023 at 12:09 am
Glad this was a hit! Thanks for commenting
IreneFebruary 25, 2023 at 6:30 pm
This soup hit the spot! My new go to rainy day soup recipe. ☺️
EmilyFebruary 24, 2023 at 4:29 am
I’ve made this twice already! Didn’t have miso paste so subbed a little bit of fish oil. So healthy and filling, my whole family loves!
AlexFebruary 24, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Glad you love it!
Nat BFebruary 21, 2023 at 5:27 am
Loved this dish!! I doubled the curry paste & had naan on the side 😛
AlexFebruary 21, 2023 at 2:03 pm
yummy!! Thanks so much!!
JeanetteFebruary 15, 2023 at 1:54 am
This soup is so delicious! I wasn’t sure about all of these flavours together but you haven’t led me astray yet. ☺️ delicious flavour and textures, will definitely make it again! Let’s hope it helps me get over this cold too!
DanielleFebruary 17, 2023 at 8:58 pm
Ditto!! I never made anything like this before but every single Defined Dish is a hit! Delicious! Thank you!