If you are looking for a flavorful, comforting take on Chicken Noodle soup– look no further than this Green Curry Chicken Soup!
Using a delicious green curry paste and a can of coconut milk– this soup comes together easily and the end result is magnificent. I love loading up the top with fresh herbs to elevate the dish and give it that nice pop of flavor.
GREEN CURRY CHICKEN SOUP
For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ cup diced shallot
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cups stemmed and thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1-2 thai chiles thinly sliced (for additional heat, *see note)
- 4 tbsp green curry paste I use mae ploy brand
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 [8.5 ounce] cartons coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar *optional
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 heads baby bok choy leafy green parts only thinly sliced (*I discard the bottom white part or save for a separate stir fry. You can also add it if you want! It’s still great in the soup I just prefer the leafy green for texture purposes only).
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- Thai basil leaves for serving (regular basil works, too!)
- Cilantro leaves and tender stems for serving
- 2 scallions thinly sliced (green parts only)
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil (this will be to cook the rice noodles later).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, thai chiles (if using) and continue to cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Add the green curry paste and stir until well combined. While stirring, slowly pour in the broth. Add the coconut milk, coconut aminos, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, and coconut sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the sliced chicken and let simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the bok choy.
- Right before serving, add the rice noodles to the boiling saucepan of water and cook until just tender or according to package instructions.
- To serve. Ladle the soup in a bowl. Place a “nest” of rice noodles on the broth and top with the basil, cilantro and scallions. Serve with a wedge of lime and enjoy!
Photography by Eat Love Eats.