This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
There’s nothing more nourishing to me than a veggie-packed lentil soup and this Curried Lentil Soup delivers. When you’re in need of some additional nourishment but lots of flavor, this soup is the perfect choice.
We are continuing #DDSoupWeek 2023 strong with this flavorful, veggie-packed soup. Sweet potatoes, lentils, and more are cooked in a broth flavored with curry powder, turmeric, and other seasoning for a delicious final result. And if you love the flavor of this soup, be sure to try my Curried Chili.
Curried Lentil Soup Ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Yellow Onion
- Salt and Pepper, plus additional dried spices!
- Sweet Potato
- Brown Lentils
- Vegetable Broth
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- Baby Spinach
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Cilantro
Curried Lentil Soup: step-by-step
Step One: Sauté the veggies, toast the spices and lentils
In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper and pepper flakes until the garlic and onion are tender. Once tender, add the sweet potato, lentils, and spices. Cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant and lightly toasted! The sweet potatoes will cook in the broth, so do not worry about them at this point.
Step Two: flavor the Broth
Next, add the broth, fire-roasted tomatoes and bay leaf to the pot. Bring this to a rapid simmer then cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Step three: Add the Spinach and Coconut Milk
Once the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, add the spinach and coconut milk. Simmer until the spinach is wilted.
Step four: Finish and Serve
To finish the soup, remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. This adds a delicious brightness to the soup! This is also a great time to taste and adjust the seasoning. With the potatoes and lentils to season, more salt is likely needed. Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with cilantro!
No! The sweet potatoes will cook in the broth.
This soup is best reheated on the stove. The lentils and sweet potatoes will absorb a lot of the broth when this is stored, so add additional broth and coconut milk when reheating.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Curried Lentil Soup! Comment below once you give this recipe a try.
For More lentils Recipes:
Curried Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups medium-diced sweet potato
- 1 ½ cups brown lentils rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- One [14.5-ounce] can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, lentils, curry powder, turmeric, cumin and paprika and continue to cook, stirring, until the spices are fragrant and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, fire-roasted tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a rapid simmer then reduce the heat to light simmer, cover and cook until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and coconut milk and stir until well combined and the spinach has just wilted. Let simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice and add more salt, if desired. To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.