This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
When it comes to making dinner, I love making a build-a-bowl feast. These Harissa Lamb Meatball Bowls are so easy to make and packed with delicious flavor. It will be a warm welcome to your dinner rotation!
Because my kids love meatballs, it’s always fun to introduce new flavors to them in the form of a meatball. Here, I’ve used lamb meat that is infused with curry powder and harissa. I love this combination and these meatballs might feel intimidating to a new palate, but I can assure you they are total crowd pleasers. These flavors shine just enough as to not overwhelm the palate and pair beautifully with the other elements in this bowl.
Also, don’t let the length of this ingredient list scare you off — a lot of the ingredients are pantry staples.
step one: form and bake the meatballs
To start this recipe, you’ll get your meatballs formed and into the oven to bake. The combination of harissa with the warm spices are is one I cannot get enough of!
Step Two: make the cucumber salad
While these delicious meatballs are baking off in the oven, a quick cucumber salad. I love the brightness this adds to the dish!
Step three: make the tahini drizzle
Next up, the tahini drizzle. Both this and the cucumber salad are very simple to make and quick enough to make within the 15 minutes that the meatballs are baking. Note: If your drizzle seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of warm water to loosen it up!
step four: assemble the bowls
This recipe all comes together over a bed of brown rice, but quinoa would be lovely here, also! My kids aren’t the biggest fans of quinoa, so brown or white rice is typically what we gravitate to when it comes to a bowl night. The crisp and bright cucumber salad pairs beautifully with the warmly spiced lamb meatballs and the creamy/tangy tahini sauce. I load mine up with fresh dill, but cilantro works great here, too!
The end result was a definite crowd pleaser on my family table and I hope it is for yours, too! If you love this recipe try a few others that have similar flavors:
Harissa Lamb Meatball Bowls
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground lamb or beef
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons harissa sauce I use Mina mild
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons tapioca flour
For the Cucumber Salad:
- 2 cups quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced cucumber or 1 cucumber
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup halved and thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tahini (see note)
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Fresh Dill
- Preheat the oven to 400F and drizzle a small baking sheet with olive oil to lightly coat the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients and using clean hands, mix to combine. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Damp hands help if the meatballs are difficult to roll.
- Place the meatballs in the preheated oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl, combine all of the cucumber salad ingredients and toss until well combed. Set Aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the tahini drizzle ingredients and stir until well combined. Add warm water until the consistency is still thick but all a little bit drizzle-able (you'll need anywhere from 2-4 tablespoons depending on how thick your tahini is). Set Aside.
- To serve, divide the brown rice amongst 4 bowls. Add the meatballs, the cucumber salad, a dollop of the tahini sauce, a dollop more of harissa (if desired), and garnish with fresh dill. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography and Styling by Jess Gaertner Creative.