I absolutely love harissa. If you don’t know what harissa is, it’s a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste. Its flavor is earthy, nutty, and a little spicy depending on how hot you like it. You can certainly make your own harissa. I mean, homemade anything is always the best!! But, harissa can be found in most grocery stores so I do love keeping a store-bought jar in my pantry at all times to add flavor to dinner any night of the week — like with this simple Harissa Harvest Bowl!
I love this veggie-focused Harissa Harvest Bowl for a meatless meal. It’s filling, flavorful and so easy to put together. The harissa roasted veggies are extremely flavorful alone as a side dish, but I love serving them over your favorite grain (quinoa, Israeli couscous, farro, lentils or even cauliflower rice work here!) I also top it all off with an herby, tangy yogurt sauce, which really makes this dish SO GOOD! With the heat of the harissa roasted veggies, the cool yogurt sauce just makes the whole dish come together.
It’s also such a great dish to meal prep and eat throughout the week! It keeps so well and is just as delicious reheated!
Harissa Harvest Bowl
For the Harissa Veggies:
- 2 cups peeled and diced in 2-inch cubes sweet potato about 1 large sweet potato
- 4 cups cauliflower florets about ½ head
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup harissa (I like the Mina Brand)
For the Herby Yogurt Sauce:
- ½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh dill leaves
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- cooked grains of your choice or cauliflower rice (quinoa, farro and brown rice would all work great)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the sweet potato and cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil. Season with pepper, curry powder, ground cumin and harissa. Toss until well-combined and spread into an even layer. Transfer to the oven and roast until the veggies are golden and tender, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and cilantro. Blend until well-combined and smooth.
- To serve, spoon your choice of grain on the bottom of a bowl. Top with roasted vegetables and a dollop of the yogurt sauce. Garnish with cilantro and pine nuts.
MegFebruary 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
HOLY COW! This is definitely going in my recipe rotation. SO good and so easy to throw together. I meal prepped this for my lunch/dinner for the week but have been eating it for breakfast bc I can’t wait all day. 10/10
Ellen WorackNovember 19, 2020 at 12:40 am
Its hard to convince my husband to eat vegetarian but this one convinced him. Sooo flavorful anf filling!
AlexNovember 19, 2020 at 2:22 pm
yippee!!! I love it too!!!
averyNovember 18, 2020 at 7:13 pm
The flavor of the harissa and yogurt sauce is amazing! I meal prepped this for lunch and have enjoyed it so much. I broiled the veggies at the end to try to get them a little crispier and served it with quinoa. Thank you for the recipe, Alex!
AlexNovember 19, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Glad they are hit!!
JaimeNovember 12, 2020 at 2:29 am
This was SO flavorful and delicious! Thanks, Alex!
AlexNovember 12, 2020 at 2:22 pm
So happy you enjoyed it!!