This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For a quick weeknight meal, I love turning to this Chicken and Mushroom Stir Fry!
One of my favorite orders at a local Chinese restaurant (Royal China) is their Moo Goo Gai Pan. Which, according to wikipedia “is the Americanized version of a Cantonese dish, usually a simple stir-fried dish consisting of sliced or cubed chicken with white button mushrooms and other vegetables.” I’ve probably never truly experienced an authentic version of Moo Goo Gai Pan (although I would love to); however, what I have experienced has been nothing but delicious and something that my whole family loves. We always order it when we go to Royal China and eat it family-style amongst other things. We all love it for its simple, delicious, and savory garlicky sauce.
Here is my not-so-authentic but oh-so-delicious Whole30 Chicken and Mushroom Stir Fry inspired by what I have tasted at Royal China. I’ve created this in my kitchen and, just like when we go out to eat at Royal China, my whole family gobbled this one up! It’s a super easy one-pot meal that will work wonders on your weeknight dinner menu! Enjoy!
SHOP THE POST.
Chicken and Mushroom Stir Fry
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg white part only
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour arrowroot is fine too
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour arrowroot is fine too
- 1/2 inch knob ginger peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
For the Stir Fry:
- 1.5 cups baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced (about 6 mushrooms)
- 1 cup carrot peeled and sliced on the diagonal (or 1 large carrot)
- 1.5 cups snow peas
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 8 oz water chestnuts drained
- 4 cloves garlic very thinly sliced
Prepare the Chicken:
- Place chicken on a cutting board and cover with saran wrap. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a skillet pound until the chicken is an even 1/4 inch thickness. Discard saran wrap then cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, salt, pepper, egg white and arrowroot flour. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
Make the Sauce:
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a bowl, combine all the “For the Sauce” ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Make the Stir-Fry:
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat with 2 tablespoons avocado oil. When the oil is very hot, add chicken in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet, you will likely need to do this in 2-3 batches to allow the chicken to crisp up on all sides and cook evenly. Cook until chicken is cooked through and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and continue until all chicken is cooked. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the same skillet. Add the mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, water chestnuts and garlic to the skillet. Sauté, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and add chicken back to the skillet. Toss to incorporate. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is coated in the sauce, about 2 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.