This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Who doesn’t love a good Caesar Salad? I just LOVE that creamy, tangy dressing smothered all over my greens to make my salad super satisfying. It is just so good! So of course I needed to make my own Whole30 Caesar Salad Dressing!
If you are taking on your first Whole30 Challenge, I strongly encourage you to make your own Mayo. It is so versatile and makes your Whole30 Challenge much more enjoyable. You can make homemade ranch dressing to dip veggies in, toss it in tuna or chicken salads, and you can make a creamy Caesar salad dressing like I did here! Our homemade mayo recipe takes only 5 minutes to make with only 5 ingredients and it’s like the silkiest, most delicious thing ever…I may or may not lick the spoon when I’m done making it (#shame). Another option to have in your fridge is Primal Kitchen’s mayonnaise. This Whole30 Caesar Salad Dressing is a great staple to keep in your fridge and the only store-bought mayo I have found that is Whole30 Approved! I always see it at both Wholefoods or Central Market. If you can’t find it there, just order it on Amazon.
Whole30 Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 cup light tasting oil I use Safflower Seed Oil or Avocado Oil. You can also use "light" olive oil, which is not the same as extra virgin
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice or the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 flat anchovy filets in olive oil or 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper or more to taste
- Kosher salt to taste (I do about 1/2 teaspoon)
For the Immersion Blender Method:
- Place the oil in a jar that in which the circumference of the jar is only slightly larger than the head of the blender.
- Crack the egg into the oil and let settle into the bottom of the jar.
- Place head of immersion blender down into the mixture with the blade directly over the yolk of the egg. Turn on the immersion blender and do not move the head until a white, creamy, thick mayo forms at the bottom by the head - this will take a few seconds. Begin to slowly tilt and lift the immersion blender in order to emulsify all the oil, all the way up to the top, then push down and up, with the immersion blender still running, to allow the oil at the top to emulsify as well. You should end up with a thick and creamy mayo base.
- When all oil is emulsified, add the remaining caesar dressing ingredients. Use your immersion blender once more to blend it all until it is smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Food Processor Method:
- If your egg is chilled, place it in a cup of hot or very warm water for 3-5 minutes to bring it to room temp. *YOUR EGG MUST BE AT ROOM TEMP OR YOUR MAYO WILL NOT EMULSIFY*
- Place room temp egg, the mustard , the kosher salt, and 1/4 cup of oil in a food processor or blender, blend until well combined.
- Now, for the main event...turn your food processor or blender on and keep that blending as you VERY SLOWLY pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of safflower oil in. When I say slowly pour, just keep a constant flow going as slow as you can possibly go (if you pour too quickly your mayo will not emulsify). If you pour slowly, you should have a white, fluffy mayo base.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.