This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are a lover of Flower Child, you’ve likely enjoyed their Organic Kale Salad! It’s simple– yet irresistibly good and I just had to make my own rendition at home — Shredded Kale Salad with Grapefruit!
I know kale salads have a bad reputation for being, well… DULL! While simple, this kale salad is far from that. It’s easy to make but the flavors are bright, tangy and just really damn good.
At Flower Child, they include smoked almonds. Since I couldn’t find any smoked almonds in the store, I opted for dry roasted almonds and then I added a dash of smoked paprika to the apple cider vinegar dressing.
While I served mine with salmon, any protein works great with this salad! Rotisserie chicken, seared chicken, sauteed shrimp, or even a seared steak work well here! You can really have fun with it. The Shredded Kale Salad with Grapefruit also keeps well, thanks to the sturdy kale — making it a perfect make-ahead dish for grab-and-go lunches!
Shredded Kale Salad with Grapefruit
For the Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 head lacinato kale stem removed and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 honeycrisp apple thinly sliced and halved
- ½ cup dry roasted and salted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 grapefruit cut into supremes *see note
- ½ cup grated aged cheddar cheese I use Trader Joe’s Unexpected Cheddar
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, smoked paprika, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, apple and almonds. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well coated and the kale has slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the grapefruit and the grated cheddar and gently toss once more.
- Serve with desired protein and enjoy!! *I served mine with Salmon that I made in my air fryer. Method: drizzle a 6 ounce filet of wild caught salmon with a little bit of olive oil and lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper. Cook in an airfryer at 375 degrees until it flakes easily with a fork, about 8 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.