This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I just love a good kale salad!! You either do or you don’t and I just do. There is something about those dark, nutritious greens that my body craves and this salad is my go-to when my body is having one of those cravings. Kale is packed with nutrition that puts it high on the list of the world’s healthiest foods, combine it with my homemade, super clean, healthy caesar salad dressing and you have yourself one heck of a Kale Chicken Caesar Salad dinner!
If you’re a kale lover like me, try this Kale Chicken Caesar Salad now. It’ll be your new favorite. Even if you aren’t a kale lover, give this one a try and treat yourself (and your body!) Enjoy!
(Side note: this recipe makes plenty of dressing and you will have leftovers. You can double the kale + chicken and serve 4-6 easily!)
- 1 bunch of green kale
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (must be room temp!)
- 1 cup of safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 flat anchovy filets in olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder, or to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl or ziplock bag, combine all of the "for the chicken" ingredients together and toss so that the chicken is coated evenly. Set aside and allow to marinade for 15-30 minutes, at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the caesar dressing: If your egg is chilled, place it in a cup of hot or very warm water for 3-5 minutes to bring it to room temp. *YOUR EGG MUST BE AT ROOM TEMP OR YOUR DRESSING WILL NOT EMULSIFY*
- Place room temp egg, the kosher salt, and 1/4 cup of safflower oil in a food processor or blender, blend until well combined.
- Now, for the main event...turn your food processor or blender on and keep that blending as you VERY SLOWLY pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of safflower oil in. When I say slowly pour, just keep a steady flow going as slow as you can possibly go. When you have completed this process (it should take about 3 minutes total) You will have a mayo-like consistancy.
- Now, toss the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and red wine vinegar in with the mayo. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. You can even add more anchovies or red wine vinegar if you’d like to! You make it yours! Set the dressing aside while you prepare your salad.
- Rise and pat dry the kale. Remove kale from the stem then, chop up the kale so that it is diced pretty small. Place the chopped kale in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place chicken in skillet and sear on both sides so that they are lightly browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven and let the chicken continue to cook all the way through in the oven, depending on the thickness of the chicken it should take between 10-15 minutes.
- While your chicken is cooking, pour desired amount of the Caesar Salad dressing over the chopped kale, toss to coat evenly and set aside to let the kale marinade in the dressing--this allows the kale to soften up a bit so it doesn't have too much of a bite to it.
- Remove chicken from the oven and using tongs, transfer onto a cutting board. Let rest on the cutting board for about 5 minutes to allow juices to settle back into the chicken.
- After it has rested, slice the chicken, against the grain, into thin pieces.Divide the kale amungst 2 bowls, then the avocado. Top with sliced chicken breast and then top it all off with some grated parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to keep this Whole30 approved, do not use the Worcestershire sauce when marinating your chicken and do not garnish with grated parmesan.