I am a celery lover through and through and I know this Shaved Celery and Fennel Salad will make you one too.
I think celery is one of the most underrated veggies to cook with and use in salads. Yeah, yeah– we all dip it in ranch or other yummy dips, fill them with peanut butter, and use them to flavor soups and stews but I am talking about using celery as the highlight of a dish!
Right now, everyone is talking about the benefits of celery juice after the Medical Medium made it a popular way to detox and cleanse and proclaiming celery’s mega healing properties. I’ve also heard a lot of people debunk this popular trend. I can’t personally say whether it works or does not work because… well, I haven’t tried it. To be honest, I’ve had the intention of trying it multiple times but every time I buy all of the celery, I only end up doing it one morning– then not touching my juicer for the rest of the week. My mornings as a momma are already busy enough and to me, it just wasn’t worth the fuss. To each their own.
I recently did this (you know, buy a ton of celery to do the whole celery juice thing and then NOT do it), so I had about 4 heads of celery to work with. HECK YES. Good thing I am celery’s #1 fan!
As the weather has warmed up, I’ve been wanting nice, crisp salads along with some simple fish or protein for dinner, which is where this beautiful Shaved Celery and Fennel Salad came about. I love shaving celery (you simply use a peeler to do this) because it gives it a nice, slaw-like texture. Celery can overpower a dish when it’s just sliced and this gives you a nice touch of celery that is so refreshing and just perfect for springtime!
Celery lovers… UNITE! Stand strong against celery haters and make this salad asap! You will just love it! I served mine with some simple pan-seared halibut topped with my delicious Whole30 tartar sauce. SO GOOD.
Shaved Celery and Fennel Salad
For the Salad:
- 4 cups baby arugula packed
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, torn loosely into smaller pieces packed
- 3/4 cup fennel bulb, quartered and very thinly sliced or 1 small fennel bulb
- 1 cup shaved celery 2-3 stalks (I peel mine with a Y peeler)
- 1/2 cup walnuts loosley chopped
For the Shallot Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallot or 1 medium shallot
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice or 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper or to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients. Set aside.
- In a separate, small bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately and enjoy.