Okay, let’s talk about this Bibb Salad with Black Truffle Vinaigrette + Mimolette shall we… It’s almost difficult for me to put into words how much I love this salad. It’s so simple, yet so elegant, and it’s just absolutely show-stopping and delicious!
Last week, I was in Austin, Texas for my book tour. While visiting, I stopped for lunch at one of my favorite spots in town, June’s All Day. While dining there I enjoyed their bibb lettuce salad as a side dish and I was blown away by how delicious it was. It was elegantly dressed in a black-truffle vinaigrette, and topped off with some grated mimolette cheese. As soon as I got back to Dallas I was craving the salad again, so I made it a mission to recreate it in my kitchen.
Right after I made this and my husband and I devoured it, I looked at him and told him, “I hope you’re okay with eating this all the time”. He giggled and agreed it was simply delicious and he also wanted it all the time. There is just something about the tender, silky bibb lettuce leaves tossed in the tangy black-truffle vinaigrette. The black truffle oil does cost around $13 for a small bottle, but you only use 2 teaspoons of it for each salad–leaving you with the ability to make this salad over and over again 🙂 I also love the mimolette cheese, a hard cheese but when grated its got a fudgy texture with a nutty, salty, and buttery flavor. It’s the perfect finish on this delightful salad.
*mimolette cheese is french cheese and is fairly easy to find! I found it at the first two grocery stores I checked. If you can’t find it, a bright orange gouda would be the best substitute.
For the Black Truffle Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp black truffle oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, loosely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 head bibb lettuce also known as: boston or butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup grated mimolette cheese
- In a small bowl, combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- Place the bibb lettuce in a large bowl. Right when ready to serve, toss with the vinaigrette until evenly coated. Top with mimolette cheese and a few extra cracks of black pepper. Serve immediately! Enjoy!