Seven Layer Dip is a Football food must have!
Actually, game-day or not, it’s just one of the best party appetizers! It’s an easy one that everyone loves and the layers of creamy deliciousness are spread into a pan and then refrigerated, making it the perfect make-ahead party food. I love making this ahead of time to take to a friends house when invited over for a watch party since it keeps so well and everyone loves it.
This dip, obviously, has 7 layers to it. I did my own little tweaks to my seven layer dip to make it my own and here is what we have:
- A Bean Layer- I mix refried black beans with a little bit of salsa verde to amp up the flavor.
- The Greek Yogurt layer- you can also sub in sour cream here, but I always have plain greek yogurt on hand and mixed with a little bit of taco seasoning, it’s perfect.
- The Avocado Layer- this is where my 7 layer dip gets it’s best flavor. While most recipes call for guacamole, I blend up avocado with tangy pickled jalapeños for an extra zing!
- pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- green onions/other garnishes (this is where you can do whatever you want, but I add green onion, a Roma tomato, and some cilantro! None of these are necessary, but they just add an element of beauty to the dip for serving.
Serve this Seven Layer dip with chips or even veggies for dipping to amp up your party spread. So get to layering, and add this delicious dip to your next game-day party spread! It is bound to be a big hit!
Looking for more of my favorites to add to your Game Day spread:
CopyCat Dairy-Free Chili’s Queso
Salt and Vinegar Chicken Wings
Seven Layer Dip
For the Bean Layer:
- One 15-oz can refried black beans
- ¼ cup salsa verde
For the Greek Yogurt Layer:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning I use the Siete Foods Spicy
For the Avocado Layer:
- 1 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup mild jarred jalapeño slices
- 2 tablespoons mild jarred jalapeño brine
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic cloves peeled
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
For the Final Layers:
- ¾ cup pico de gallo
- 1½ cups shredded lettuce
- ¾ cup freshly shredded medium cheddar cheese I use Tillamook
- 2 green onions thinly sliced green parts only
- 1 roma tomato chopped
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- For Serving:
- Tortilla chips
Make the Bean Layer:
- In a medium bowl, combine the black beans and salsa verde. Add the bottom of a 9x9 or 1½-quart baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula.
Make the Greek Yogurt Layer:
- In a medium bowl, combine the greek yogurt and taco seasoning. Gently spread evenly over the black bean layer.
Make the Avocado Layer:
- In a blender or using an immersion blender in a wide-mouth jar, combine the avocados, jalapeño slices and brine, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and cumin. Blend until smooth. Spread evenly over the greek yogurt layer.
For the Final Layers:
- Evenly distribute the pico de gallo over the avocado layer. Top with the lettuce, cheddar, and green onions. Garnish with tomato and cilantro if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.
Photography and styling by Eat Love Eats.
HilaryNovember 18, 2022 at 1:47 pm
How far in advance can you make it?
Miranda w.October 23, 2022 at 5:35 pm
Made for game day and my husband kept saying “wow!!” After his first few bites. Another winner. 👏
Kristin HothersallOctober 21, 2022 at 12:51 am
Made this Saturday for SEC football watching 😊. So delicious!
NicoleFebruary 13, 2023 at 2:41 am
Best 7 layer I’ve ever had, hubs agrees. Packed with flavor! Only changes I made were pinto refrained beans and sour cream. I will definitely make this again! Thank you Alex!
AmandaOctober 2, 2022 at 10:37 pm
Sounds delish. Can’t wait to make it!
SarahOctober 14, 2022 at 7:02 pm
I made this last weekend and it was absolutely delicious—a huge hit! Thank you Alex for my new favorite recipe 🙂 not sure where the others went wrong…I am making it again this Sunday already it was that good
AlexOctober 15, 2022 at 2:08 pm
So glad you enjoyed it!!
Amby EllisOctober 1, 2022 at 10:59 pm
Flavors were yummy however became pretty watery after sitting in the fridge. May have been the DF yogurt I substituted.
KellySeptember 30, 2022 at 2:44 pm
Made this today and it’s absolutely delicious, flavors are so fresh and wonderful as usual!
MartSeptember 26, 2022 at 1:44 pm
This was a definite no for me. Brought it to a game on Saturday and no one ate it after 1 try. Super bummed.
Maury MitchellOctober 8, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Yes! It’s not good
I just made
AlexOctober 15, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Sorry to hear that!