This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Sausage and Kale Tortellini Bake is sure to become a family favorite.
I am all about a simple skillet dinner, especially as the weeknights start to get busier with back-to-school upon us. On nights when I need to get dinner on the table quickly, I love turning to this recipe that is not only simple to make but also requires only a few fresh ingredients.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Italian Sausage (hot, mild, or a combination!)
- Yellow Onion
- Lacinato Kale
- Fresh Basil
- Cheese Tortellini (I love keeping this on-hand in my fridge to make last-minute dinners easier!)
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Plus, a few Pantry Staples (see recipe for the complete list!)
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, the rest of the recipe comes together quickly all in one, oven-safe skillet.
Step one: Brown the Sausage and Sauté the Kale
In your skillet, you’ll start by browning the Italian sausage with the onion. I typically use 50% mild and 50% spicy sausage, but use whatever you prefer. Once browned, be sure to drain off any excess fat! Then, add the kale and sauté until it begins to slightly wilt.
step two: finish the skillet and bake
Next, add the marinara to the skillet along with the broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, and seasonings. I love the addition of lemon here to bring extra brightness to the skillet, it helps cut through the richness of the tortellini! Bring the sauce to a light simmer and then stir in the tortellini. Spread into a single layer, top with cheese, and bake until the cheese is golden brown.
step three: rest, garnish, and serve!
You’ll want to let the skillet rest for a few minutes ahead of serving. Then, garnish with fresh basil and serve! On my own serving, I like to add crushed red pepper flakes (duh!) but that’s totally up to you.
I can’t wait to hear what you and your families think of this Sausage and Kale Tortellini Bake!
Sausage and Kale Tortellini Bake
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage I use ½ pound mild, ½ pound hot
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 4 cups roughly chopped lacinato kale or ½ bunch
- One [24-ounce] jar marinara
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh cheese tortellini (from the fridge section) (sub dairy-free if preferred)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage and the onion and cook, breaking up the meat with the edge of a wooden spoon, until cooked through and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off excess fat and return to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chopped kale, cook, stirring, until it has slightly wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the marinara, broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, remove from the heat and add the tortellini. Gently stir to combine and spread into an even layer in the skillet. Top with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until the tortellini is tender and the cheese is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.