This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are an Indian food lover like me, you’ve probably had Tandoori Chicken and just love it because, well, it’s freaking delicious. Tandoori chicken is traditionally marinated in yogurt and a ton of delicious spices, then cooked in a bell-shaped clay oven, or a Tandoor. Hence the name. All of those traditional flavors influenced my Roasted Tandoori Chicken.
Well, I don’t have a tandoor in my kitchen… (I would love to get one, though!!) so I made this absolutely fantastic Tandoori-inspired chicken in my oven and it is absolutely delicious. Chicken never tasted so darn good!! Seriously!! My version is Whole30 approved and easy as ever. Heck yes.
Some serving suggestions: for dinner, serve this Roasted Tandoori Chicken with cauliflower rice and some roasted veggies. Save the leftovers (if you have them) to top over a salad for lunch and really make your desk lunch super happy!
- 4-6 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1 tbsp. curry powder or garam marsala
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 cup unsweetened, full-fat coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchens, and I blend it first so that it is no longer separated)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat, then cook the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, garam masala and paprika, stirring often, until fragrant (approximately 2-3 minutes). Let cool completely.
- Place the spice mixture in a bowl and let cool a bit. Add in the coconut milk, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and ginger.
- Using a pairing knife, give a few slashes in the top of the chicken, about 1/2 inch deep, this just helps the flavors to seep into the chicken while marinating. Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover and chill for at least an hour (preferably 6 hours), no more than 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shake off excess marinade, then place chicken breasts on a rimmed cooking sheet, preferably lined in parchment paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes, covered in foil, before serving to allow the juices to rest and have juicy, flavorful chicken!