Grilled chicken can get a bad rap for being boring and bland– but let’s change that, shall we? Here is some seriously fabulous flavored chicken marinated in delicious tandoori inspired spices then grilled to perfection and served over a fabulous, herby, fresh salad! This Grilled Tandoori Chicken Salad is all Whole30 compliant, easy to make, and something that will wow your weeknight or even weekend entertaining friends.
I absolutely love the flavors used in Indian dishes, and Tandoori chicken is absolutely one of my favorites. It’s traditionally marinated with greek yogurt, but I’ve opted to keep things dairy-free in my version and used a little unsweetened coconut milk as a sub. Tandoori chicken is also cooked in a bell-shaped clay oven, but considering I don’t have one and it’s grilling season, I thought it would be fun to take things over the open fire outdoors for a fresh, summer take on Tandoori chicken.
I just know y’all will love this recipeand I hope it becomes a summer staple!
For more salad recipes, check out my Satisfying Salads round up!
Grilled Tandoori Chicken Salad
For the Chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don't like spicy)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, full fat coconut milk (you can sub plain yogurt here if you are okay with Dairy)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or the juice of 1 lemon)
For the Herb Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped dill
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 Head butter lettuce leaves (aka bibb + boston lettuce)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (or 1/2 of small onion)
- 1/2 cup english cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the Chicken:
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and cover with wax paper. Using a meat mallet or bottom of a skillet, give each breast about 10 whacks to help tenderize the meat, or until the breasts are a uniform 1/2 inch thickness.
- Place the tenderized chicken breasts in a large bowl or ziplock bag with the remaining chicken ingredients (olive oil, coriander, paprika, cayenne, curry powder, cumin, coconut milk and lemon juice). Toss or shake until well combined and the chicken is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to grilling, or up to overnight.
- In a small jar or bowl, combine all of the herb vinaigrette ingredients. Shake (or whisk) until well combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Assemble the butter lettuce leaves across the bottom of a large platter or bowl. Top with onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Set aside.
- After the chicken has marinated, heat a grill over medium-high heat. When hot, place chicken on the grill, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until nice grill marks form. Flip, cover and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and a nice, golden brown grill marks have formed. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Finish the salad by drizzling and gently tossing with desired amount of the herb vinaigrette. Top with the chicken breasts, and finish by garnishing with fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy!