This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bunless burgers or as we like to call them, “B**ch Burgers,” have always been a favorite of mine. When I’m at a restaurant I can always count on ordering a burger, hold the bun! When cooking at home it’s always so easy to whip up a burger on the grill or on your stovetop. I wanted to change it up a bit and put our addictive basil pesto on top with these Pesto Bison Burger Bowls. Let me tell ya, it is so so good. You could make these with ground beef but I decided to use bison. Bison is lower in calories and fat but has about the same amount of protein. I love both types of meat so it is totally up to you! I hope you enjoy these Pesto Bison Burger Bowls!
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. Lemon-Basil Pesto, plus more for serving
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the bison meat, egg, 1 tbsp. pesto, salt and pepper (to taste). Using your hands, combine ingredients until just blended, try not to over work the meat. Next, form meat mixture into two patties. You can either grill the patties or cook them over the stove top. (Note, bison cooks a little quicker than beef, and it is best when served medium).
- Next, let's assemble the burger bowls. Divide the arugula into two bowls. Drizzle the arugula in each bowl with 1 tbsp. lemon juice on each and season with a little salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Now, top each bowl with sliced tomatoes and red onion.
- Once burger is complete, add on top of your bowls. Top each burger with desired amount of pesto (I always say, the more the merrier!)
- Top with a few leafs of basil for garnish!