This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are a fan of Mendocino Farms’ here’s my Copy-Cat Not So Fried Chicken Salad you are going to love!
Mendocino Farms has a “salad style” recipe for their famous “Not So Fried” Chicken Sandwich that is one of my favorites to order on busy weeknights and it’s so so delicious! If you’ve never had it, you’re probably wondering where the “Not So Fried” comes into play. Well, that’s just what makes this salad the BEST! Shaved, roasted chicken breast is topped with their iconic “Mendo Krispies” a crunchy, magical topping that gives the essence of a crispy chicken, but just sprinkled right on over the top of the salad. I did some digging into their nutritional facts and found that it’s a herby, buttermilk-polenta topping that they add to their roasted, shaved chicken breast, in lieu of the usual breaded and deep-fried chicken.
To keep this simple at home, my homemade version of the “mendo krispies” is simply a blend of gluten-free panko breadcrumbs, herbs, and grated parmesan cheese that is baked in the oven until golden and crisp! Easy to make, yet still gets that irresistible crunch on the salad!
The other element that really sets this salad apart is the mustard shallot dressing and a tangy barbecue sauce drizzle right on top. My mustard shallot dressing here is easy to make and absolutely delicious– you’re going to fall in love with it immediately. Just use your favorite store-bought barbecue sauce to finish off the salad! I really love The New Primal Classic BBQ sauce.
This is the perfect way to spruce up your spring and summer salad game. This salad will quickly become a favorite with its big, bold flavors and oh-so-fabulous layers of texture! I hope you love this one as much as I do and be sure to try the one at Mendocino Farms if you haven’t yet. It’s delightful!
If you love this recipe, try some of my other favorite, loaded salads:
BBQ Chicken Skewer Salad with Herby Ranch
Copy-Cat Not So Fried Chicken Salad
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup roughly chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Krispies:
- ½ cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad:
- 6 cups spring greens
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup pickled red onions
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked roughly chopped chicken (I use Rotisserie)
- 4 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender in a wide-mouth jar, combine all of the Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- On a small baking sheet, add the panko, parmesan, thyme, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix until well combined and spread into a single layer. Transfer to the oven and bake until crisp, 7 to 10 minutes, watching carefully so they do not burn. Remove from the oven to let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the greens, slaw, pickled onions, and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with desired amount of the Mustard-Shallot Vinaigrette and toss until well coated.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top with the chopped cooked chicken and the Krispies. Drizzle with BBQ sauce and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.