I’m back with another classic potluck dish — Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad!!
I am pretty sure the majority of you know exactly what I am talking about when I say Ramen Noodle Salad. You know, that salad that had the uncooked ramen noodles crunched up on the top of it? Yes. That one.
If you don’t know what I am talking about, this is one of those dishes that everyone knew and loved at a potluck gathering. One of my closest friends, Shannon, always had it at her family dinner table when I went to spend the night. The ingredients may be simple, but it’s absolutely delicious. If you’ve never had this salad before, you’re probably thinking…uncooked ramen? Are you sure? Yes! It’s the whole point. The uncooked, broken pieces of ramen add a big crunch to the salad! The sooner you eat/serve it, the crunchier it is. Or, you can really let it marinate in the dressing and the noodles will soften up a bit. Personally, I prefer to give it about 5-10 minutes before digging in so the noodles aren’t raw enough to cut your esophagus (trust me, it happens…). Instead, they are just slightly softened, yet still crunchy! Perfect.
Just for a little background, this recipe is typically made like so: in a bowl, you combine the coleslaw mix, the toasted nuts, the crunched up ramen noodles, and the scallions (just like I have here). Then, you make the dressing, which is where I changed things up a bit. The original version is typically: the package of ramen seasoning mix, sugar, oil, and vinegar. It’s delightful, but here in this recipe, I make a homemade dressing to omit the MSG intake and make it a bit healthier. I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out and know you will, too!
Bring this Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad along to any potluck dinner, outdoor BBQ, or just make it for your family and add in some chopped chicken for dinner!! It’s a total winner!!
Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Crunchy Salad:
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, unroasted and unsalted
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, unroasted and unsalted
- 12 oz coleslaw mix approximately 1 bag
- 2 cups green onions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal about 6 green onions
- 1 cup ramen noodles, uncooked and crushed into small pieces [this is 2 packages of ramen. You will not need the seasoning packets.] To crunch them up, I just throw the noodles into a plastic bag and pound until broken into small pieces.
Make The Salad Dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
Make the Salad:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds and slivered almonds. Toast, tossing often, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Set aside to allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, green onions and ramen noodles. When the toasted nuts have cooled, add them to the bowl.
- Pour in the dressing and toss vigorously and continuously for about 3-5 minutes. This helps massage the dressing into the crunchy salad to really absorb the flavors!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!