How is summer coming to an end already? I seriously cannot even believe how fast it flew by!! It was a good one, though. My family had a lot of fun adventures and so much fun together this summer. So long summer! Until next year! With school coming soon, I’ve created this simple Chicken-Ranch Breakfast Hash for a quick breakfast for school day mornings.
I will say that I am a little excited about school starting. Having the structure is just really nice for both me and my kiddos. It does mean, however, that things are about to get hectic in the mornings! Sutton is starting Kindergarten this year (what!?!) and she has to be at school bright and early every single day of the week! eek!
To make mornings easier, I like to prep a wholesome breakfast on Sunday that will help us get a good breakfast in our tummies and get us out the door more easily. My personal favorite way of doing that? A breakfast hash.
This breakfast hash here is a delicious, nutritious whole30 and paleo compliant breakfast that my whole family just loves! It is filled with protein, potatoes to keep you full longer, and spinach to add some greens. I also made it absolutely delicious by adding bacon and Tessemae’s Creamy Ranch. The Bacon-Ranch flavor makes it so good that even my picky kiddos don’t notice the spinach in it! Throughout the week if I have time in the mornings or feel like it, I can toss a fried egg on top but it really is just great as it is.
So I encourage you to plan ahead as school begins and make a big batch of my Bacon-Ranch Breakfast Hash to make your mornings a little less stressful! Cheers to the end of summer and a great school year ahead!
- 1 lb. "two-bite" sized yellow potato (or known as the .75" sized)
- 4 strips of nitrate and sugar-free bacon (I use Nature's Rancher brand)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken thigh
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp Tessamae's ranch dressing, plus more for serving if desired
- 2 cup baby spinach
- Cut the small yellow potatoes into forths and place in a saucepan. Fill with water until the potatoes are just covered and place over high heat. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, let cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the strips of bacon until crisp and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and let cool.
- Drain off excess bacon grease from pan, reserving about 1 tablespoon in the skillet. Place the skillet back on medium-high heat.
- Once the potatoes are done boiling, drain and add to skillet with remaining bacon grease. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and black pepper. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, until golden brown and fork tender. Then, add the baby spinach and sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the potatoes are cooking, heat a separate skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the ground chicken thigh. Brown chicken, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon and season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 tbsp Tessamae's ranch dressing. Continue breaking up the chicken until cooked through (no longer pink) about 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain off excess fat and add to the skillet with the cooked potatoes and wilted spinach.
- Now, loosely chop the bacon and add it to the hash with 2 more tablespoons Tessemae's creamy ranch dressing.
- Toss until combined and remove from heat. Serve immediately or, let cool and store in glass containers and refrigerate and reheat as needed. It lasts about 5 days in the fridge.