Growing up, my friends and I frequented Chili’s. One of my go-to orders was their Enchilada soup. Holy YUMMO. Gosh that soup is freaking good which is why I had to create my own Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Well, I had a craving for it and thought I’d do a little Paleo/Whole30 spin and make a creamy, cheeseless, gluten and grain-free version of that soup in my own kitchen for a wholesome weeknight meal that the whole family will just gobble up. This soup not only tastes like heaven, but it comes together quickly and with very few steps.
If you are a love hearty, bold flavors in your soups– you’ll absolutely just love this Chicken Enchilada Soup! Enjoy!
For more recipes like this, check out my Soups + Stews Round Up!
CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
For the Spice Mixture:
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the Soup:
- 1 cup yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.50z can fire roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 4oz can diced mild green chiles undrained
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (I use Rotisserie)
- 4 radishes thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedge
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spice mixture and set aside.
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat with olive oil. Add the yellow onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Saute, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. While sautéing, season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies are tender, melt the ghee. Sprinkle in the arrowroot flour and stir until well combined.
- Add the spice mixture and the tomato paste and stir to combine. It's going to look like a sticky mess, but just bare with me.
- While stirring, slowly pour in chicken broth, using a spoon to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the diced tomatoes and green chiles. Stir to combine and increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and stir in the shredded chicken. Cook, simmering and uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, taste and add more salt, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with the radishes, iceberg lettuce, cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
- Serve and enjoy!