Howdy, from your favorite Texan blogger 😉
Today, I have a fun take on a classic Texas dish, King Ranch Casserole, but in hearty soup form — King Ranch Chicken Soup! If you’ve never had King Ranch Casserole, it’s typically a combination of condensed soups, Ro-Tel, chicken, tortillas, bell peppers and spices. Similar to this one here. Growing up, this was always one of my favorite casseroles at any potluck dinner. Named after the famous and extremely huge ranch in Texas, King Ranch, this chicken casserole has big flavors and it’s just a total crowd-pleaser.
If you own my cookbook, you can find my healthier take on King Ranch Chicken in the Southern Comfort Chapter. It’s a fun recipe that my whole family loves and it is so nostalgic to me. But I also thought it would be fun to to turn the Texas casserole into a soup because, why not? Soups are so easy to whip up and I had some leftover chicken in my fridge. Using some pantry staples, this dish comes together so easily and will be a total crowd pleaser for the fall/winter months.
If you leave out the chips and cheese on the top– the soup is completely Whole30 compliant. But I love throwing on some Siete Foods Grain-Free tortilla chips on top with a little cheese to really bring this bowl of soup together to capture all of the flavors of King Ranch casserole in one big bowl.
Whether you’ve had King Ranch Chicken casserole or not, this King Ranch Chicken Soup is a must!! It’s warm, a little spicy, and just absolutely delicious!!!
King Ranch Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup diced small red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced small yellow onion
- ¼ cup small diced jalapeno seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 [10-oz] can diced tomatoes and jalapenos
- 3 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken
- grain-free tortilla chips for serving (omit if Whole30)
- shredded sharp cheddar to garnish (omit if Whole30)
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium high heat with olive oil. Add the bell pepper, yellow onion, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the arrowroot and stir until well-combined.
- While stirring, slowly pour in 1 cup of broth until well-combined. Add the tomato paste. Continue to cook, stirring, the ‘roux’ for 2 minutes. Again, while stirring, slowly pour in 2 cups of broth until well-combined. Stir in the can of tomatoes and jalapeños and shredded chicken.
- Cook, uncovered, simmering until the flavors have melded and chicken is tender,, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar and cilantro. Serve alongside tortilla chips and enjoy!