This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Gorgonzola Slaw are full of flavor and great for the summer grilling season.
Imagine getting all of the flavors of your favorite chicken wing dipped in blue cheese dressing with less mess and more depth of flavor. That’s where these Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Gorgonzola Slaw come in. Sure, you’ll still need a napkin, but these are worth it!
The best part of the burgers is you get the flavors of a buffalo chicken wing without having to stand over a grill and flip the individual wings over and over again — while also making sure to keep them from slipping through the grates. While chicken burgers can tend to err on the side of being dry, the mayo, lemon juice, and hot sauce keeps them juicy. Make sure you chill the burgers for at least 30 minutes as instructed. This helps them keep their shape on the grill.
I also love how versatile this recipe is. For instance, you could swap in ground turkey if you prefer or even grill a chicken breast instead that is coated in buffalo sauce. Then for serving, these are great bun-less too. You could serve over a bed of the slaw or make lettuce wraps! I also served mine with the Zesty Potato Wedges on pg. 210 of The Comfortable Kitchen for a side of fries — YUM!
Buffalo Chicken Burgers with Gorgonzola Slaw
For the Burgers:
- 1 ½ lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp + ½ cup buffalo sauce divided- I used The New Primal Medium brand
- 2 tbsp homemade mayo – or sub avocado oil mayo
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- Avocado oil for grilling
For the Slaw:
- ¾ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 4 brioche buns - toasted
Prepare the Chicken Burgers:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, onion, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, 2 tablespoons of the buffalo sauce, mayo, and tapioca flour. Using your hands, mix the seasonings into the chicken until just combined. The mixture will seem a bit wet, but it will firm up. Allow to rest in the fridge for at least 15 minutes while you assemble the rest.
Make the Slaw:
- In a wide mouth jar, add the gorgonzola crumbles, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dijon, honey, salt, and pepper. Using an immersion blender, blend together until completely smooth. In a medium bowl, add the onion, cabbage, and chives. Pour over about ¾ of the gorgonzola sauce, reserving the remaining gorgonzola sauce for spreading on the buns. Toss the slaw until well coated. It will feel a little thick, but will marinade as you cook the burgers.
Cook the Burgers:
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat (350- 400 degrees F). Meanwhile, divide the burger mixture into 4 patties. Shape the patties so they are about ½ inch thick.
- When the grill is hot, oil the grill grates (to do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grate. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.) To the greased grates, gently add the burgers to the grill. Cook on one side for 5 minutes until browned and they easily lift off the grates. Flip the burgers, and using a pastry brush, brush on the remaining buffalo sauce to the tops of the burgers. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until the burgers are fully cooked through.
- To serve, add a swipe of the gorgonzola sauce to the bottom bun. Top with the burger, slaw and the other bun. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.