This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin recipe is such a fun side for Thanksgiving and the holidays that will take lovely in-season Brussels sprouts and make it an actual superstar side. Crispy Brussels sprouts in a creamy sauce that is topped with Gruyere cheese? What’s not to love?
In this recipe, Brussels sprouts are simply roasted until golden brown, then topped in a delicious creamy sauce that I quickly made on the stovetop and sprinkled with some Gruyere cheese. The end result is seriously restaurant-worthy and perfect for changing things up on the Thanksgiving table along with these other Thanksgiving Delights. Or for For another simple Brussels sprouts recipe, try my Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Lemon-Basil Aioli.
- Brussels Sprouts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Salted Butter
- Gluten-Free Flour
- Dry White Wine
- Heavy Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Ground Nutmeg
- Garlic Powder
- Freshly Grated Gruyere Cheese
- Crisped Bacon
Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin: step-by-step
step one: prep the brussels sprouts
To start this recipe, cut the Brussels sprouts in half and remove any outer layers. Add to a baking dish and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper! Next, place these in the oven to get nice and crisp while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
step two: make the cream sauce
While the Brussels sprouts crisp up in the oven, make the delicious cream sauce. The cream sauce is brightened by a little white wine and has delicious earthiness from some nutmeg!
step three: assemble and bake the Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
Next, pour the cream sauce over the crisped Brussels sprouts then top with cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until cheese is browned and bubbly.
step four: top with bacon and enjoy!
Remove the baking dish from the oven, top with crumbled bacon, and enjoy!
Yes! I use gluten-free flour in the sauce for this recipe but you can use regular all-purpose flour if preferred.
Of course! While the crispy bacon is a delicious addition, feel free to omit it if preferred.
Make ahead tip: This recipe can be prepared a day ahead of time. Reheat in a 350°F oven, uncovered, until warm throughout and crisp on top, 10 to 15 minutes.
more thanksgiving recipe ideas
I hope you all enjoy cooking this Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin! Comment below how the recipe works for you!
Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 1.5 lbs brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1.5 tbsp gluten-free flour I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour. You can sub regular, all-purpose flour here.
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- black pepper (a couple of cracks)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese
- 3 strips bacon, cooked until crisp for topping
- Preheat oven to 400℉ and center rack in the center of the oven.
- Peel the outer layers of the brussels sprouts and cut in half. (If really large, cut into quarters.)
- Add the brussels sprouts to a 9×13 baking dish and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated and spread into an even layer.
- Place into the oven and bake, without tossing and uncovered, until brussel sprouts are tender with golden brown edges, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized skillet over low heat with salted butter.
- Once butter is melted, add the gluten-free flour and whisk until flour is well-combined with butter and starts to thicken. Cook, stirring and lightly toasting the flour, for 2 minutes but being careful not to burn.
- While whisking, pour in white wine and whisk until well-combined.
- Continue to whisk and slowly add the heavy cream then chicken broth until all is well incorporated into the mixture.
- Continue to stir until thickened then turn off the heat.
- Stir in kosher salt, ground nutmeg, black pepper and garlic powder into your sauce and whisk to combine. Set aside until the brussels sprouts are ready.
- Once golden, remove brussel sprout from oven and pour your sauce evenly over the top. Top with shredded cheese and transfer back to oven. Cook until hot, bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. About 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with crumbled bacon. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.