Turkey burgers get a bad rep and, honestly, that is for good reason. They are typically dry, lack flavor, and just are not exciting at all compared to traditional beef burgers. I agree, trust me. I’ve always been an anti-turkey burger girl myself — until now!
I’ve finally mastered the perfect turkey burger. The trick? Adding a little dollop of mayo into the mixture. The mayo adds an extra layer of fat that is needed to keep the burgers moist and delicious — and never dry!!
For these Avocado Turkey Burgers, I’ve also layered in some delicious spices like chili powder, cumin, and oregano that pair so beautifully with the creamy avocado and pepper jack cheese. The flavor isn’t overwhelming, but just a subtle touch to really make these the best turkey burgers.
You can also keep this recipe low carb by simply serving these turkey burgers over a nice salad or sub in lettuce leaves for the bun. Or, keep it classic and serve in brioche buns as I did here with my favorite brioche buns from Whole Foods, so good!
Want more recipes using ground turkey that actually rock? Here are a few of my favorites!
Avocado Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 4 sliced pepper-jack cheese optional, if using
- 4 brioche buns for serving
- Your desired hamburger toppings for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, mayo, salt, pepper, chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, and 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour. Using your hands, mix until the meat is just combined and the ingredients are evenly distributed. The meat should be a little ‘wet’ feeling compared to traditional beef patties; however, this helps keep the turkey meat from drying out. If your meat is too ‘wet’ to form into 4 equal-sized patties, add 1 additional tablespoon of tapioca to help bind the meat.
- When your patties are formed, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. When hot, carefully place the patties into the oil and cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Turn off the heat and place 2-3 slices of avocado on top of each patty. Then, place a slice of pepper jack cheese over the sliced avocado. Cover the skillet to allow the cheese to just melt, 3-4 more minutes.
- Serve on brioche buns with your favorite hamburger toppings! Alternatively, these patties are delicious served on top of a salad, or wrapped with lettuce leaves! Enjoy!