This Texan girl loves her breakfast with a kick and one of my favorites is Chilaquiles! For those of you not familiar with chilaquiles, they are typically layered with tortilla strips, smothered in salsa (red or green) and topped with eggs or beans. Since this is a favorite of mine, I just had to make a compliant version — Whole30 Chilaquiles Verdes!
This Whole30 take on chilaquiles is definitely one of my new favorite brunch dishes. Invite your friends over this weekend and make them this dish, they’ll love it!
If you enjoyed these Whole30 Chilaquiles Verdes, try my Chorizo con Papas!
- 1 sweet potato peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8 inch thick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 red onion very thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup salsa verde I use 505 Southwestern Brand
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- pico de gallo optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, toss the sliced sweet potatoes in 2 tbsp. oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin until evenly coated. Lay in a single layer across a baking sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper).
- Roast in oven for about 15 minutes, or until crispy on the edges, and fully cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and transfer into a cast iron skillet or a small baking dish. Place the sliced red onions and the shredded chicken on top and drizzle over 1 cup of salsa verde.
- Place back in the oven and roast for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, Heat 2 tbsp. of oil or ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Swirl pan so that it evenly coats the bottom of the dish.
- Crack 3-4 eggs in the skillet, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and let cook until a white film just barely covers the yolk of the egg, or about 3-5 minutes for sunny side up. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove the chilaquiles from the oven and top with the fried eggs.
- Top with fresh cilantro, sliced radishes, and pico de gallo (optional). Serve with lime wedges.