This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Have you ever had Broccoli Casserole? I know everyone from the South has but is it a thing that is served all over? I have no clue!
Well, if you haven’t let me tell you a little about Broccoli Casserole. It might sound like a healthy side dish for your meal but let me assure you that the traditional version is far from healthy! Good, yes! Healthy? Not a chance. It’s typically filled with cheese, a can of cream of mushroom soup, smothered in butter and topped with crunched up ritz crackers. It’s freaking good.
I’ve taken the old southern classic and given it a little Whole30 makeover. Well, I shouldn’t say “little makeover” it’s quite a transformation to be honest. hah! Although it will never taste like your Grandma’s Broccoli Casserole, this Whole30 Broccoli Casserole is really darn tasty for a dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free version! You’ll have to try it for yourself and see!
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into small florets and loosely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced (about 1/4 onion)
- 1 cup homemade mayo or primal kitchen mayo
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup pecans, loosely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 cups bella bella mushrooms, diced small (approx. 5 baby bella mushrooms)
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over simmering water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- While the broccoli is steaming, make the sauce.
- Once broccoli is steamed, in a large bowl, combine the broccoli, yellow onions, mayo, eggs and nutritional yeast. Pour sauce over the broccoli mixture and stir to coat.
- Using 9x11 baking dish, add the broccoli mixture and top with pecans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Melt butter or ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add arrowroot flour, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add the mushrooms and vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Once thickened, remove from heat.