This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Because it is one of my absolute favorites to order, I had to make a Whole30 Tom Yum Soup!
Tom Yum Soup, a sweet-and-sour classic Thai soup, is one of my go-to orders when I go to Thai restaurants. I have been so eager to recreate it in my own kitchen and make a Whole30-compliant version for you guys. I am SO very pleased with how my Whole30 Tom Yum Soup turned out… it’s freaking delicious, y’all. You need this in your life now.
This soup seriously takes 30 minutes (maybe less) to whip up. It’s soooo dang easy! Now go make this, I know you’ll love it! 🙂 And if you’re looking for another delicious option, try my 20-Minute Wonton Soup.
Whole30 Tom Yum Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 32 oz. carton seafood stock
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth use 2 cartons of chicken broth if you can’t find seafood
- 1 inch nob of ginger peeled and grated
- 1 stalk of lemongrass cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced thinly against the grain
- 2 cups of baby bella mushrooms cut into fourths
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1-3 thai chiles sliced thin (1 for mild, 3 for spicy)
- 1 loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. peeled deveined shrimp (tail off)
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the 2 cartons of broth, the grated ginger. Use the back of your knife to pound the lemon grass, just to bruise it to release the flavor. Add it to the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the sliced chicken and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until chicken is cooked through (no longer pink).
- Add in the sliced thai chile(s), ground coriander, the fish sauce, coconut aminos, the lime juice, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Continue to simmer until tomatoes are tender and the mushrooms are cooked through, about 4 more minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook 3-5 more minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography and styling by Eat Love Eats.