Okay, potato salad lovers. Are you ready for The Best Potato Salad?
Good! I am ready for you to make it! This recipe has IT ALL and it really rings true to a delicious old-fashioned potato salad that you’d eat at a BBQ restaurant or potluck feast! It’s got that perfect combination of creamy, mustardy, and tangy. All the things I personally love most about this classic dish.
So as you continue to enjoy the summer sun, be sure to make a batch of this for yourself!! Not only is it great for parties, but it’s also great for meal prep!
Try pairing this with my Whole30 Ribs or these Grilled Chicken Thighs with Chipotle-Whiskey BBQ Sauce!
The Best Potato Salad
- 1.5 lbs yellow potatoes
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup very finely diced yellow onion about 1/4 large onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery or 1 large stalk
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, grated use the large side of the cheese grater
- 2 tbsp dill relish
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Louisiana style hot sauce
- 1 tsp coconut sugar Omit for Whole30!
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
Cook the potatoes:
- Scrub the potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Place in large pot. Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are just covered by one inch. Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add 2 tsp kosher salt and cook, boiling and uncovered, until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let the steam from the potatoes release (this prevents your potato salad from getting watery).
- Place the tender potatoes in a large bowl with the onion, celery, grated hard-boiled egg, mayo, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, white vinegar, hot sauce, coconut sugar, garlic powder, and turmeric. Mix until very well combined.
- Taste and add plenty of kosher salt and pepper to taste. It's potato salad — it needs lots of salt 😉
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving! It's great if you make ahead and serve the next day to allow the flavors more time to meld!