This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
So, back when I very first started this little ole blog here, I posted a Szechuan String Bean recipe. When I rebranded, I deleted it because the picture made the dish look disgusting and I am trying to stop doing that and better my food photography skills. HA! Anywho, since it has been off the site, so many of you have asked for this recipe!! I had no idea you even knew it was there so this made me happy because this is seriously one of my favorite things to whip up on a weeknight! It is so delicious and so easy to make! I purchase one of those bags of pre-cut, pre-washed green beans and these Stir-Fried Szechuan String Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms are done in NO time at all!
If you want to add some protein to the dish, I recommend purchasing ground pork, ground chicken, or ground turkey. Brown that up with a little salt and pepper and add in that cooked meat when you add in the mushrooms to the dish and voila! You’ll have dinner on the table in no time and these Stir-Fried Szechuan String Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms will be the star of the show!
For the Stir Fry:
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 12 oz. green beans ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 inch nob of ginger peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorns or more to taste (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos can use soy if not Whole30
- 3 tbsp. chicken broth or water
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. arrowroot flour can use cornstarch if not Whole30
- Combine all of the "for the sauce" ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. avocado oil over medium-high heat. When hot, but not smoking, add in the green beans and cook, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 7 minutes. While your green beans are sauteeing, season them with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in the shiitake mushrooms, the minced garlic, the grated ginger and sichuan peppercorns, and reduce heat to medium. Continue to saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and reduced, about 3 more minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.