If you are looking for a simple, yet elegant grilled dinner to serve, look no further than this Steak with Italian Salsa Verde, Veggies, and Potatoes.
I love that this meal is prepared almost entirely on the grill. The steak, potatoes and asparagus all grill together and then are served with a show-stopping Italian Salsa Verde. What’s great is that if you follow the directions closely, all of the elements come together at the same time so everything is perfectly cooked and warm for your meal. And we all know timing is one of the hardest things to figure out with cooking.
Also, let’s talk about the Italian Salsa Verde a bit more. You won’t be able to stop yourself from piling more of it onto your plate! When testing this recipe, we kept going back to dip our potatoes into it — we could not be stopped. If you’ve never made Italian Salsa Verde, I can’t urge you enough to put this recipe at the top of your list. This tangy, herb-packed green sauce is fabulous over grilled white fish, salmon, and even chicken!
Another fantastic grill-able dinner for summer entertaining or even a date night in… I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Steak with Italian Salsa Verde and Veggies
For the Steak:
- 2 pounds flap steak or skirt steak
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves about 1 sprig
For the Italian Salsa Verde:
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp capers drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest about ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice about ½ a lemon
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup torn castelvetrano olives
- ½ lemon for serving
For the Potatoes:
- 1 lb yellow potatoes quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
For the Asparagus:
- 1 bunch of asparagus woody ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Marinate the Steak
- Using a meat mallet, tenderize the steak by pounding 15-20 times on each side all over. (this is not necessary, but helps create a more tender steak and helps the marinade better seep into the meat).
- Place into a baking dish or airtight container and drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Using tongs, flip the steak back and forth to evenly coat in the marinade
- Next, season one side of the steak with half of the salt, pepper and rosemary leaves evenly. Flip the steak and season the other side with the remaining salt, pepper and rosemary leaves. Cover and let marinade for at a minimum 20-30 minutes at room temperature, or for 4 to 6 hours in the fridge.
Make the Salsa Verde
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the parsley, anchovy paste, olive oil, capers, red wine vinegar, lemon zest and juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and olives and toss until well combined. Set aside while preparing the veggies.
Prepare the Vegetables
- Place cut potatoes on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Wrap the potatoes with the foil to seal.
- For the asparagus, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Set aside.
Prepare Your Grill + Begin Grilling
- Heat grill over medium-high heat (350- 400 degrees F) and oil the grill grates (to do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grate. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.)
- Once your grill is heated, place your foil-wrapped potatoes on the grill and close the lid. These will need to cook for 25-30 minutes total until fork-tender.
- After the potatoes have cooked for about 10 minutes, carefully place the steaks on the hot grill and cook until the pieces turn golden and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes per side for medium temperature. The lid should be closed throughout the cooking process.
- When you flip the steaks after the first 5 minutes of cooking, place the asparagus directly onto your grill. You will need to cook these for 8-10 minutes.
- When the steak cook time is complete and they look cooked to your desired doneness, remove them from the grill and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Next, add the ½ of a lemon to the grill, flip the asparagus and let it continue cooking with the potatoes for another 5 minutes then remove everything from the grill.
- To serve, slice your steak and plate on a large platter alongside the grilled asparagus and potatoes. Squeeze the juice of the grilled lemon over everything on the platter. Serve with the Italian Salsa Verde.
Photography by Eat Love Eats.
LisaGSeptember 1, 2022 at 4:10 pm
This Italian Salsa Verde is to die for!!! I could put it on everything!!!! The whole meal turned out delicious!
LeslieAugust 2, 2022 at 8:50 pm
It’s just too hot to grill out. Wondering the best way to cook inside. Cast iron skillet or oven?
FaganJuly 27, 2022 at 12:55 pm
This was great! Didn’t follow the marinades exactly and roasted the potatoes in the oven because it was easier for us to do that, but the Salsa Verde is definitely a keeper!!!
JodyJuly 23, 2022 at 4:20 pm
Totally delicious- deserves all the 5 star ratings!!
JillJuly 19, 2022 at 7:16 pm
this was absolutely FABULOUS. the salsa was amazing…. such a unique flavorful meal. I am slowly coming around to sort of liking olives but even if i didn’t i think i’d still like them with this! leftovers kept beautifully too! reheated my steak in the oven & salsa stayed good too for a few days.
Amazing Meal!July 18, 2022 at 1:35 pm
This meal was absolutely incredible. The instructions are timed so perfectly and I was so pleased when everything was done at the same time. The only thing I changed was I used a sirloin instead of a skirt/flap steak and it turned out great. Can’t wait to make again!
AlexJuly 18, 2022 at 10:29 pm
So glad this worked out perfectly for you!
NicoleJuly 7, 2022 at 3:08 am
This was such a hit with my whole family! I want to make big batch of the Italian Salsa Verde and put it on everything!
JudyJune 28, 2022 at 2:03 pm
Absolutely the most flavorful grilled meal to date! So great on the grill! This is a keeper like so many others!
Lucie ForstenzerJune 26, 2022 at 1:17 pm
I made this last night as a belated Father’s Day dinner, and it was such a HIT! Everything was so delicious and perfectly cooked. Will definitely be a repeat for the summer!!
RosemaryJune 23, 2022 at 12:38 am
This was AMAAZING!! Definitely going to be on rotation & definitely going to make some more Italian Salsa Verde to put on some halibut!
zeeJune 13, 2022 at 5:29 pm
SO delicious!!! I would make this every week if I could!
KCJune 8, 2022 at 11:34 pm
The green sauce truly is the star here. So wonderfully briny, when the sweetness of the marinade from the meat, it’s just perfect! Thanks for sharing this.
JenniJune 9, 2022 at 11:55 pm
I made this today, it was so good! Everyone loved and the timing all came together so nicely – thanks for planning everything out for us, it helps to be less intimated by the grill
JessicaJune 7, 2022 at 11:53 am
Honestly one of the best things I’ve ever made. It was incredible!!