If you are looking for a festive and healthy new weeknight dinner, you’ll have to give this quick and easy Sheet Pan Salmon with Veggies and Creamy Zhoug a try.
The star of the show, per usual, is in the sauce for this sheet pan dinner. The Zhoug, a Middle Eastern spicy cilantro sauce, is mixed with yogurt to cool the spice. The flavor, similar to the Zhoug sauce from Trader Joe’s, is fantastic and can be used in a variety of ways. You can use this creamy sauce as a dip for veggies, a spread for a sandwich, to drizzle on grilled chicken, or to amp up any weeknight meal as I did here.
I will say, I was skeptical when I fed my family this one as I was not sure whether or not my girls (10 and 7 years old) would be interested and enjoy the Zhoug… but boy, was I wrong! They absolutely loved drizzling it over their salmon and veggies. As I mentioned before, the addition of yogurt to the Zhoug really cools the spice and makes it not too spicy at all! Just a lot of delicious flavors to amp up the meal.
Also, if you are someone that is dairy-free and looking to make this dish, the Zhoug is still fantastic without the ‘creamy’ element. Simply omit the Greek yogurt and this more traditional Middle Eastern-inspired sauce is just fabulous!
This Sheet Pan Salmon with Veggies and Creamy Zhoug will come together so weekly for any busy weeknight and I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as mine did!
Sheet Pan Salmon and Veggies with Creamy Zhoug
For the Creamy Zhoug Sauce:
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon aleppo pepper flakes (sub crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or 1 lemon
For the Sheet-Pan Salmon:
- 1 medium sweet potato halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head
- Four [6-8 ounce] salmon fillets pin bones removed
- 2 teaspoons za’atar seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the Zhoug:
- In a food processor or wide-mouth jar using an immersion blender, combine all of the Zhoug ingredients and blend until the sauce is mostly smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
For the Sheet Pan:
- Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt. Toss until well combined and spread the potatoes into a single layer. Transfer to the oven and roast until the sweet potatoes are tender and begin to get golden brown on the edges, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and push the potatoes to the edges of the baking sheet. In a medium bowl, toss the broccoli, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ½ teaspoon kosher salt until well combed. Add around the baking sheet with the potatoes, making space in the center for the salmon filets.
- Add the salmon filets to the center of the baking sheet and brush the flesh with the remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with the za’atar seasoning. Transfer to the oven and bake until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, 12 to 15 more minutes.
- Divide amongst four plates and serve with the creamy zhoug sauce and enjoy!
Photography and styling by Eat Love Eats.
LBMarch 21, 2023 at 5:07 pm
AndreaMarch 21, 2023 at 6:57 am
My husband and I loved this and it was super simple. Will be adding to our rotation!
AlexMarch 21, 2023 at 4:11 pm
Awesome, thank you!!
ShannonMarch 14, 2023 at 5:24 am
Oh wow! Alex knocks it out of the park, again. This recipe is perfection. So delicious. My teenager loved it too and it made me so happy to know she was enjoying healthy nutrition to grow on. She described the sauce as “so fresh!”
We loved it!
MeganMarch 8, 2023 at 9:45 pm
What would be a good substitute for the Greek yogurt? Would love to try this!
AlexMarch 9, 2023 at 12:14 am
Sour cream would work! Dairy-free or not
Riley ChildersMarch 3, 2023 at 2:44 am
ALEX… this is one of your best recipes yet. It’s so simple and so freaking delicious. This one has officially been added to the rotation.
AlexMarch 3, 2023 at 1:16 pm
So happy you loved it, Riley!!!
Sarah AthertonMarch 2, 2023 at 5:36 am
This Sheet Pan Salmon with Veggies and Zhoug is so delicious! I love the creamy sauce and the salmon is cooked perfectly. My kids loved it too! Thanks for a great recipe!
AlexMarch 2, 2023 at 4:32 pm
Yay! Thank you for commenting!
Emily R.March 1, 2023 at 9:17 pm
This was SO delicious!!! The sauce is incredible and ties everything together.
AlexMarch 1, 2023 at 10:03 pm
So glad to hear it! Thank you for commenting!