Sweet potatoes on the Thanksgiving table was never something I grew up having. My family stuck to the oh-so salty, savory classic mashed potatoes and that’s just how we do. Over the years I’ve become quite the sweet potato lover and I know that it is something that most of you grew up having on your Thanksgiving table– so I thought it would be fun to make a delicious sweet potato dish that would be perfect for the Thanksgiving (or holiday) table. So enjoy these Scalloped Sweet Potatoes!
Isn’t this dish just beautiful? I love the way it looks, but it also tastes fantastic, too!! Sweet potatoes smothered in a vanilla ghee + coconut milk concoction that will make your taste buds SING. The addition of pomegranates isn’t completely necessary, but it adds a great fruity, fresh flavor and it makes it look freaking gorgeous! Win-Win!
You all that have followed me for awhile are well aware by now that my favorite ghee is Fourth & Heart. There are so many different ghees out there but quite frankly, not all ghees are created equal. I love the clean, delicious flavor that all of the Fourth & Heart Ghee Butter’s have, and you can taste the quality of ingredients that they use. Also, I am really obsessed with their Madagascar vanilla-flavored ghee. The depth of flavor from the vanilla is absolutely delicious in bulletproof coffee for breakfast, and great for paleo baking! I also love to use it when fluffing up a simple, baked sweet potato; which is what gave me the idea for this fun, holiday-inspired dish. The flavor combination is just to die for.
So, for all you sweet potato lovers out there, go make these Scalloped Sweet Potatoes ASAP. It’s A GOOD ONE.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp. Fourth and Heart Madagascar Vanilla Ghee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (blended so that it is combined)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, for serving
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, then slice very thinly into thin rounds. Place in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt the ghee. When melted, add the coconut milk, cinnamon and maple syrup. Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Pour the ghee mixture over the sweet potato rounds. Gently toss. Season lightly with a little kosher salt. Toss once more.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in a 10-12 inch round baking dish or a 12 inch round cast iron skillet so that they form a pretty circle. Fill in the center. Pour any remaining ghee mixture over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in the oven, covered for 45 minutes. Then, uncover and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes more, or until lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven, garnish with pomegranate seeds and parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!