Whether it be for an appetizer or for an easy dinner, these Sausage and Fennel Pizzettes are the perfect go-to!
When it comes to easy, summer grilling, having some store-bought naan around for last-minute ‘pizza nights’ is clutch. If my kids are having friends over, I can set up a build-your-own pizza bar with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and other fan faves and each kid can build their own individual pizzas.
I also like to throw some festive adult pizzettes on the grill for us to enjoy! And these Sausage and Fennel Pizzettes are elegant, delicious, and impressive. Serve this with a large salad for a full meal for you and your guests, or simply use this as an appetizer ahead of another delicious grilled recipe.
And I know you may be thinking, “Fresh fennel? I’ll just omit that,” but promise me you will not! Most sausage has dried fennel in the mix, so bringing in fresh fennel compliments it so beautifully and takes the flavor up another notch — trust me.
Sausage and Fennel Pizzettes
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for your grill
- 1 lb bulk spicy Italian sausage sub mild
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 Naan flatbreads
- 1 bulb of fennel quartered and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fennel fronds for garnish
- Basil for garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium to medium-high heat (350- 400 degrees F).
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and brown the sausage, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the ricotta, honey and dried oregano.
- Next, equally divide the ricotta mixture onto each flatbread and spread evenly. Next, evenly divide the Italian sausage onto each flatbread then the fennel then top each flatbread evenly with the cheese.
- When the grill is hot, oil the grill grates (to do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grate. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.)
- Place the naan “pizzas” on top of the hot grill and cook until golden brown on the bottom and slightly crisp, 6 to 8 minutes depending on the size of your naan/pita bread. The lid should be closed throughout the cooking process.
- Carefully remove from the grill and top with the fennel fronds and basil. Serve and enjoy!