This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here is a throw-together recipe that relies mostly on what you can find in your pantry, making this Roast Fish with White Beans and Calabrian Chiles such a great weeknight dinner! Flakey white fish is baked with creamy cannellini beans, Castelvetrano olives, Calabrian chiles, and fresh herbs for a wondrous dinner!
This is one of those dinners that I made on a Monday night when I didn’t have much in my fridge as far as fresh produce goes. So, I pulled some halibut out of my freezer and dug through my pantry on a hunt to make something magnificent. I always have cans of cannellini beans because let’s just face it, they are one of the best things a pantry could ask for! I love how soft and creamy they are, and how they really soak up the flavors of whatever you pair them with. Here, they soak up some spice from the chiles, some tart/tangy flavors from the lemon and white wine vinegar, and some of the fresh herby flavors from the oregano.
While I love every detail of this dish, probably my very favorite addition is the chopped Calabrian chiles. If you have yet to buy a jar of Calabrian Chiles and you love a little spice in your life, these crushed, oil-packed chiles from Italy’s Calabria region are a must to try. They have a complex flavor and a nice kick of heat that complements many savory dishes. Definitely grab a jar next time you are at the store and toss it into simple pasta dishes, on your homemade pizzas, or even on salads! They are so great! In this dish, they add a perfect kick of heat to the white beans that is so addicting!
Overall, this Roast Fish with White Beans and Calabrian Chiles is such a perfect, simple dinner with minimal kitchen clean-up that I hope you all love! Enjoy!
Here are some other, easy Roast Fish recipes you may love!
Roast Fish with White Beans and Calabrian Chiles
- 2 [15-ounce] cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot cut in half and thinly sliced into half moons (or 2 small shallots)
- ½ cup castelvetrano olives torn in half
- 2 tbsp chopped calabrian peppers from the jar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 tbsp
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon thinly sliced and seeds picked out
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves loosely chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 [6-8 ounce] halibut filets *you can sub cod or salmon here, too!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 9x13 baking dish or in a 9x6 oval roasting dish combine the drained and rinsed white beans, shallot, castelvetrano olives, chopped calabrian peppers, ¼ cup of the extra virgin olive oil, the white wine vinegar, sliced lemons, oregano leaves, 1 tsp kosher salt, and ½ tsp black pepper. Toss until well combined.
- Nestle the fish filets into the white bean mixture and drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and season the tops of the filets lightly with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.