Penne alla Vodka is much more American-Italian than it is authentic Italian, but hey–we are Americans and we love this delicious creamy vodka sauce. If you follow us, you know how much we love substituting greek yogurt for cream, which is exactly what we did here to lighten it up A LOT. Using Chobani Non-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt really freshens and lightens this classic dish up yet still leaving it creamy and decadent! We hope you love this Penne alla Vodka with Greek Yogurt!
Penne alla Vodka with Greek Yogurt Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (sub Brown Rice Penne Pasta for GF Option)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cups of crushed tomatoes (or 1 15oz. can)
- 1/4 cup of Vodka
- 1 cup of Plain, Non-Fat Chobani Greek Yogurt
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp. of salt and Penne. Cook for about 6 minutes, or until al dente (or according to package instructions).
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in crushed red pepper, shallot, and the chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned and tender (be very careful not to burn), about 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and vodka, and cook at a simmer, stirring, until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
4. Now add the greek yogurt, the parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper. Stir in. and turn heat down to low.
5. When pasta is done cooking, drain and add to vodka sauce. Toss well to combine. Serve immediately, and garnish with freshly chopped basil.